PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack and passing out??

Cormac01
17-05-11, 12:45
Hi,

i know this may of been asked before but just for some reassurance really but has anyone passed out / fainted due to a panic attack/ anxiety. I get so light headed on days and in a full blown panic attack feel like i will collapse. Alhough i keep telling myself this will not happen.
Thanks!
Cormac

paula lynne
17-05-11, 12:50
Hi, in the 10 years Ive had panic and anx, Ive never passed out. Horrible feeling though, lightheaded and dizzy. I dont know many people who have actually passed out to be honest. Blood pressure usually goes up during a panic, and fainting is more likely if blood pressure drops.
Paula x

shoegal
17-05-11, 13:07
Hi. No, I've never fainted or passed out although I always think I will!

girlafraid14
17-05-11, 15:54
It is physically impossible to pass out during a panic attack, due to BP/and adrenaline levels. Hope this helps (I have done mental health first aid training, so I do know some stuff) x

Cormac01
17-05-11, 17:05
Thanks everyone, thats reassuring.

Muunray
17-05-11, 17:40
I don't mean to be a party pooper, but my boyfriend has passed out before in multiple situations of stress/anxiety. He gets light headed and sweaty, and gets a vagal response. The doctor is aware, and has been examined thoroughly. Biggest thing we do is be aware if his body is starting to respond to stress in that way he sits or lies down and calms himself down.
I would think the general consensus is that most people don't faint, but there is always an odd duck out there.

RafflesGeorgiou
17-05-11, 19:36
No. Infact it's impossible to pass out because to pass out you need to have low blood sugar or not breathing enough something silly like that but in a panic attack your body is working over time and actually breathing more and more than it usually would so much that you don't feel yourself breathing ( this is where you get the whole idea 'i'm not breathing i'm going to pass out' ) so by breathing so much it's impossible to pass out. Sorry if it seems like I'm blabbering I've had a rough day and I'm just all over the place hehe.
Raffy xx

KayleighJane
17-05-11, 19:47
No. Infact it's impossible to pass out because to pass out you need to have low blood sugar or not breathing enough something silly like that but in a panic attack your body is working over time and actually breathing more and more than it usually would so much that you don't feel yourself breathing ( this is where you get the whole idea 'i'm not breathing i'm going to pass out' ) so by breathing so much it's impossible to pass out. Sorry if it seems like I'm blabbering I've had a rough day and I'm just all over the place hehe.
Raffy xx

likewise raffy, ive had a rough day to but your post has made me feel a bit better, all day ive been breathing so much i cant feel it happening and your post has re-assured me somewhat so thankyou x

haz
18-05-11, 01:05
It is physically impossible to pass out during a panic attack, due to BP/and adrenaline levels. Hope this helps (I have done mental health first aid training, so I do know some stuff) x

This is true. Unfortunately when you're in the middle of a full blown panic attack, reason and rationality just seems to go out the window.....:shrug: