PDA

View Full Version : Had escitalopram before not sure it will work again

melaniep
17-05-11, 16:40
I was on escitalopram for around 2 1/2 years when I believed it stopped working, I came off totally for around 10 months and then fell into the depths of depression. I tried to fight it for arounf 6 of the ten months but then it all came too much so I went to the GP and was prescribed fluroxetine (prozac)... I had was on these for three weeks but had to be taken off due to horrendous side effects :( Having been scared half to death with the side effects I was put back on escitalopram (day 23 today) and I feel so dreadfully down still. i am worried that they just won't work :( has anyone had a similar experience - how long do they take before they start to work :weep:

stomper1999
17-05-11, 17:45
Hi MelanieP,

I started to take Cipralex about a year ago for anxiety.

The first week was horrific as I adjusted to the meds, then basically I sat waiting for them to work. I felt my first results at about the two week mark, but I would say it was about two months before I really felt it. It is gradual. Hang in and try to be patient -- get daily exercise (1/2 walk every day) and drink lots of fluids, eat well.

It will get better.

RBD

melaniep
17-05-11, 19:48
Thank you, good to know that they can take longer than I have waited. Fingers crossed I will feel something in another 4 weeks or so.

Melanie

Anxious-in-Canada
17-05-11, 19:49
Melanie, I too have had a slow progression with these meds. You are improving everyday it is just too subtle to notice and then you feel much better.

Hang in there, if they don't work in a few weeks (at least seeing some progress) then go back to the doctor...there are other meds available too...

What dose are you on?

Take care

rooby
18-05-11, 11:41
I had same experience to you they worked brilliantly for me first time I was depressed then I felt better and stopped taking them after about a year. Of course the depression came back with serious panic/anxiety and the second time they just didn't work for me even on the max dose. I had to try several other meds. I have not found anything that worked as good as the lexapro did the first time which makes me fed up. So I not on anything now though I should be. Are you on a higher dose this time? Are your depression/anxiety symptoms different this time? Maybe you need to try something else

melaniep
18-05-11, 13:20
Hi Anxious and rooby,

Thank you for your posts. No I don't feel any better at all, I am on 10mg (started on that dose), I am so scared, I had a horrific time on prozac and ended up after 3 weeks being referred to the crisis team (wanted to self harm and had never ever had one thought of this before prozac). How long did you give them the second time please rooby?

rooby
18-05-11, 17:32
Sorry to hear you so poorly, i was on them 2nd time for about 4 months. I then had a particularly bad migraine that put me in hospital and there I just cried and cried and they sent someone from psych who told me to change the meds by getting my gp to phone him. he said depression causes migraines and migraine causes depression. Gp never botheredto follow it through he just wrote a new script for different med mirtazapine, the side effects were just too bad so I gave up on them. Tried a few others, prozac send me into anxiety hell so I did recently actually try the Lexapro again but it hasn't worked this time after another 4 months. I give up now. Just take a valium when I really bad. Am thinking of trying trazodone again, I took that about 10 yrs ago. Not sure what to do.
I hope you can find a solution.

melaniep
18-05-11, 17:42
You sound in a similar place to me rooby, its awful isn't it.... something that I would not and could not wish on my worst enemy, I just wish it was visible like a sore... you could at least then see tiny changes in it. I will give them another four weeks and then try something else, no idea what will be recommeneded but I can't go on like this is horrible :weep:

Thank you for your reply

Melanie

Anxious-in-Canada
19-05-11, 12:44
Hi Melanie,

Try keeping a journal of how you are doing each day, that can act as your "sore" and you can judge the progress from your entries. I believe that you do progress very slowly and that looking back a week or two you will see the progress.

Take Care

melaniep
20-05-11, 08:53
Thank you Anxious that is a really good idea :)

martin2011
09-06-11, 22:59
Hi there, i have been on them for around 4 years now, had massive side affects with other medications, but after time i settled down on them, think it took about two months before i really noticed a big change, i suppose everyone is different.
I take Depakote too as i am Bi-Polar but you have to keep thinking positive and listen to your body.
Darren

haynsey
08-08-11, 14:00
Hi, i have been on escitalopram since 2004, sometimes i feel that they are not working as well, tried to come off them twice but i always get very depressed after a few weeks, so i go back on them.
It is really hard work to keep the feelings of health anxiety at bay while trying to live your life......:hugs:

Roenick
10-08-11, 02:50
Hi Melanie

I am on my 2nd time around taking Cipralex. I took it for about 2 years the first time. I can tell you that it has worked for me both times, however took longer the 2nd time to work. It took a good 6 weeks and all of a sudden I started to feel better. Hang in there and give it more time. I hope it will work for you again as it should.

All the best