PDA

View Full Version : driving test

drivememad
17-05-11, 20:49
Hi ,
this is my 1st post, i have suffered with anxiety and nerves, panic attack on and off for most of my life, now 47yrs young!...most of the time i can manage it, but if under undue stress i can suffer quite a bit.

my question is...I have been given prop by my gp for help with driving test nerves, i have been a very anxious learner but really am determined to see this driving through and pass my test.I have tried it out in the safety of my home and had no side effects 40mg. But, took it today for my lesson to see how i felt..it indeed helped me with the nerves, it was great not to hold the sterring wheel so tight and not sweat and have a calm heart. but.....on my lesson i felt a bit spaced out...so thinking, maybe not a good idea to take on my test? It took 4hrs for the spaced out feeling to wear off.

I was told to take it 1/2 hr before stressful event,,i was thinking if i take it 4hrs before test, it will help with run up to test by helping me relax and still have some in my system to help on test as well? but spaced out feeling gone.
any help would be great from anyone who knows about prop.?

this is a great site been having a good look around...and i wish you all a peaceful night x

FeatherHead
31-05-11, 21:36
Hi,
I'm also age 47 and passed my driving test a couple of years ago. At the time I was taking Propranolol to help avoid a migraine on the big day, I guess it must have also helped with the nerves. I'm now on the same prescription as you 40mg and can take up to 3 a day if required for anxiety. They do sometimes make me feel light headed and I think your idea is good, to take your prop about 4 hours before your test time to get you through the build up to it. It's normal to be nervous on the actual test and in fact that little rush of anxious adrenaline might even help get you through it with flying colours. I passed first time (by the skin of my teeth) I was nervous as hell but the time passed quickly. Hey drivememad; If I can do you can do it, try to believe in yourself. GOOD LUCK, let us know how it goes :)

Jimgym
20-09-11, 00:18
Hey,

When I was 17 i used propranolol for my driving test. I did pass in the end however, I was told by the examiner that although my driving was good he did feel that I was not paying as much attention to the road as he would have liked. He did however, have to pass me because I hadn't exceeded the maximum number of minors.

The reason for my lack attention was propranolol. Like yourself I was told to take my tablet half an hour before a stressful event. Except in my case I took two 40mg tablets at once because I was so nervous. I was young and I've learnt my lesson.

Like you said it would be a much better idea to take them 4 hours before your test and let the effect wear down a little before you begin your test. Also, a lot of nerves with this kind of test come from the anticipation of the test. Taking a tablet 4 hours in advance should also prevent a build up of anxiety before your test.

Don't forget that being nervous of a driving test is completely natural- many people say that their driving test was the most stressful time in their life!

Best of luck and keep calm!