PDA

View Full Version : Large unexplained bruises :(

tashbarnes87
18-05-11, 08:39
HI all, i have always bruised easily well for the past few months & today i have just been in the shower & have a massive 2'' by 2'' black bruise on my calf. It only hurts when pressed. I am covered in bruises all over my legs but this one has really scared me as you would expect me to know how i got such a large bruise. Im terrified its leukemia :( i did a search on here & it brought up threads from people who said they knew people who had it & they had loads of bruises etc :( so scared now.

Would the bruises be all over my body not just on my legs if it was the dreaded L? x

anthrokid
18-05-11, 09:59
People I know who have had the dreaded 'L' tended to develop bruises in areas that you wouldn't normally, particuarly on the back. On your legs it's more likely to just be routine bang-ups that we all ahve from time to time without realising. I actually tore a muscle in my shoulder a couple of weeks ago without even realising before it began to ache in agony a day later.

Have you started any new medications in recent months? Some medications can actually thin your blood, so this can result in excessive bruising. It's also why some medications advise you not to take certain anti-inflammatories because they also thin your blood. I've always had naturally thin blood, so I bruise and bleed like crazy!