PDA

View Full Version : Blood pressure concern

carlos2011
18-05-11, 11:53
Hi,

I'm still getting a lightheaded feeling and bad eye floaters, which all the doctors and the neurologist have put down to anxiety and stress. The lightheaded went away for a couple of weeks, and now it's back!

I've had full blood tests, MRI scan, eyes checked at the hospital, and they all say nothing is wrong. I've even had an amalgam filling replaced as it was causing me bother (I thought it was leaking mercury, that's how crazy I am in finding a cure).

Anyway, at the moment, I'm thinking high blood pressure could be causing this..and I'm worried it's damaging my eyes and giving me my light headed feeling. I've got a home testing kit and the readings are all over the shop.

141/86
150/87
133/77
139/79
149/76
139/79

Those are just over 2 days. The doctors have tested my blood pressure many times and say it's not cause of concern. Also they don't want to put me on meds cause of my age (29), also I don't smoke and I'm pretty fit (32" waist). The neurologist just said that my blood pressure is different from a sitting to a standing pressure. He just said many people get that and it's harmless.

What do you guys think? Just powerful anxiety? Is my blood pressure a worry you think? It's driving me mad with worry, that I'm some time bomb waiting for a stroke or something.

Thanks for all your feedback in advance.

Carl

oldtime
18-05-11, 12:14
These blood pressure readings are typical of someone with stress / anxiety. They are not high enough to cause concern on their own.

The more you worry about your BP the higher it will get, forget about it, its of no concern, you could recheck it in a years time. If you have a home BP machine take out the batteries and put it in the cupboard along with the yoguart maker and foot massage machine!

xtremx
18-05-11, 12:17
hi based on the bp readings ur average bp is 142/80, that is a tad on the high/normal reading but this all depends on you build and fitness.The bottom number the 80 is ok the top number for some is also ok but for most people it should be around the 120-130.

But all in all that is not to bad my bp used to be around the the 140s/90s but now it is around the 117/77 and that is just by drinking water at least 2 litres a day should bring the bp down and stop all added salt (have no salt in the house)

As for lightheaded a bp of around 140/80 should not cause that a low bp would say 100/60 or a really high bp say 160/100 but as said different bps cause different things for people.

try not to worry and stop using the bp machine (i have been their and it makes your bp go up as you are allways thinking about it).
If you are going to do your bp do it over a week 3 times aday about a hour after waking,before lunch then evening add all the numbers up and divide by 21 to get you average and you should see it is not as bad as you think.

margaret jones
18-05-11, 12:19
Hi Carl Bp readings look fine to me I suffered for 6mnths with bp worries every time I visited Dr it was up to sometimes 200/ 180 scary stuff spent 24hrs on a monitor and It was normal so I have given up the monitor ( took a while ) and my Bp still rises whenever I visit Gp ( white coat syndrome ) I dont take it at all now so try and wean yourself of checking it so often , It is prob just general anxiety xxxxxx

carlos2011
18-05-11, 12:27
Thanks all, really appreciate your advice. I exercise lots, I'm a medium build. I guess I could cut down on salt though and drink more water. I will try to stop worrying and measuring my bp, it is a vicious circle. I guess the doctors aren't worried, I should start to believe in them and take all your advice.

Thanks again for your time.

Ddcoo
18-05-11, 12:28
Hi Carl, please do not worry about your BP readings, they are pretty normal, and don't forget that the numbers will rise if you are worrying about the outcome. I think a normal reading is 140/90. Also BP rises and falls during the course of a day with activity and eating meals, it is never the same all day. I hope this helps.:)

blueangel
18-05-11, 14:40
They look pretty normal to me as well. A doctor will only diagnose high blood pressure after several abnormal readings have been taken, and then they will always allow for "white coat syndrome" (people who get nervous when they walk in to see the doctor).

My best advice is to step away from the home testing kit - try and ration yourself to only testing it once a day initially, then wean yourself off it slowly. At the age you are, true hypertension is really rare (it only starts to become a regular problem in people over 50); unless it goes absolutely sky-high (like 200/110) and remains there, you've got very little to worry about.

Hope this helps