PDA

View Full Version : Going back to work

Jennie666
18-05-11, 13:34
Hi I just wondered if aanyone out there had took time off sick from work and then been scared to go back.
This episode of my illness started on 1st Feb with a ba bout of flu, I developed health anxiety then mono phobia of which Im battling now but now GP says Im fit for work having had loads of tests for everything i complained about. Im doing CBT which I think is helping, really want to get back to work as Im loney at home all day and driving myself insane.
Any advise on going back in would help.
I also suffer IBS have a hiatal hernia and gallstones which all trigger off when Im really anxious

girl interrupted
18-05-11, 15:06
Hi Jennie666

I too have been off work since end of Feb having initially returned to work the 2nd week in Jan following an op in December. I started having panic attacks and then the depression crept in (I have never suffered from depression in the past so I think mine is a result of the op and a hormonal imbalance, apologies if I'm waffling). Anyway, to cut a long story short I tried citalopram but couldn't tolerate it, but now on the 5th week of mirtazepine and feel loads better (or so I thought but am due to go back to work tomorrow and to be honest I am starting to feel really anxious about this but at the same time trying to calm myself down). I called into work to see my colleagues last week and it felt a bit awkward but not too bad so I think I am just going to have to bite the bullet and haul myself in. I will try and post tomorrow and let you know how I got on.:sad:

Ellis81
19-05-11, 20:22
Hi there, I too was in the same position as you about 3 weeks ago I was due to return to work after I had decided it was time after 7 wks of being off I wanted to try and go back as my Panic attacks and Anxiety had eased loads and I became more able to cope and understand how to deal with it, and what I was suffering - but god was I nervous about going back! and felt mad because Ive been there years so kept thinking why! I didnt know what was bothering me most the fact that people would give me looks, or stares and ask questions..and that I really wouldnt want to answer or whether I was nervous about having a PA at work again..anyway to cut a long story short I arranged (with doctor advises and support) to go back on a fitness for work note - Ive cut my hours and days, and also my duties have been lighter on me (all for now until I see how I go) - all of which work agreed they were happy to do...I told my manager how nervous I was and what we did on the first day was I met her and two close colleagues at a coffee shop a few doors down - to ease me in have a chat and generally get some support before I entered the office! well it helped me so much to walk in with them, no one really noticed I was back (initially) and most people just said oh hi - glad to see your back are you feeling better - and I just replied yes im feeling much better and moved on...that way I had no time to have to worry about anxiety getting the better of me or tensing up or even explaining myself to anyone! it really went sooo much better than I expected, and after the initial first day or so - well what can I say I feel like I never left! Sorry for the essay...but I just want you to know your not alone and I really was PETRIFIED to go back I never thought I could do it but you know what I just kept telling myself I could and I did - and you must do the same, so go for it be strong you will be fine :hugs:Ive just got my appointment for CBT next week - and hoping that by tieing this in with going back to work I will keep progressing on...fingers crossed!

Jennie666
20-05-11, 12:07
Thanks for the replies both, and well done Ellis glad it went well.
How did you first day go girl interrupted?
Do you both suffer from social anxiety, Ive suffered anxiety in the past but it has never affected my life like this, woke up this morning in a real bad panic state and thats just because my sister came round last night and asked me to go to a disco with her tonight, I would usually be there and first one on dance floor, worked myself into a right state.
Im not sure how far to push myself because had CBT yesterday and she said to set small goals and although I used to love having an active social life and would love to get it back I do really want to get back into work, any suggestions on how I can do both preferably would be appreciated.

blueangel
20-05-11, 13:55
Hi Jennie

I'm a trade union rep where I work, and in this capacity often have to work with people who are off sick for long periods, with physical or mental illnesses. The thing that I've discovered is that even people who are physically ill can get problems with returning to work, as they become very anxious about it.

The really important thing is to return to work - I suppose it's rather like getting back on a bike after you've fallen off, as otherwise your last memory of it is a negative one, which is powerful and difficult to get rid of.

As you rightly think, going back to work will help occupy you, and it also does a lot for your self esteem, not to mention your bank account!

The method that is most often used as best practice for returning to work in the NHS (where I work) is a phased return to work. Going straight back in can often cause overload and there is more chance of it going wrong.

What you need to do is request a meeting with your manager and preferably someone from the personnel/human resources department. It's also very advisable to take someone else with you on "your" side, so that you don't feel intimidated, and also so that they can take notes for you, as in stressful situations like this, it's easy to forget details.

You then need to work out your date of return, and how to structure a phased return that will suit you - it might be going back for half-days initially, or maybe 2-3 days per week, then increasing back up to your normal hours. you'll probably need to take the extra time out of your annual leave, unless your employer can make other arrangements.

If your anxiety/depressive illness is a long-term thing (i.e. you've had attacks of it before, or you've been ill for more than 12 months), then you are covered by the Equalities Act and your employer needs to make "reasonable adjustments" to help you - this might be by looking at your workload, or maybe reducing your hours of work. However, they can't make up a new job for you, or completely change your current job, as that isn't in the remit of the law.

When this is all agreed, make sure that it is all put in writing so that both sides have got a record of it.

If your employer gives access to counselling or employee support, then take this up as it can be very helpful.

Above all, be honest about your condition - it's better to get it out in the open and at least can make their best efforts to help you.

If you need any other advice, feel free to drop me a PM.

girl interrupted
04-06-11, 18:31
Hi to all

Apologies for delay in posting back about my return to work. I did manage to start back at work for a whole 2 days then came down with shingles and had to have a week off. I have since gone back to work (it was like starting all over again) but I have been fine. My colleagues have been very understanding and it feels like I have never been away. My boss has been fantastic and is genuinely pleased to have me back working for him again. With regard to the question of have I always suffered from social anxiety well I can honestly say that I have never suffered from anxiety or depression in the past and the way it crept upon me was pretty scary. I am continuing to take antidepressants for the forseeable future and see my gp on a monthly basis. Good luck to all in getting back into work:yesyes:.