PDA

View Full Version : Existing heart condition and managing anxiety

Serb
19-05-11, 00:21
Hi. I had a heart condition called WPW, an irregular heart beat manifesting as SVT and AF.

Had an operation done about 4 months ago, hoping it's been successful. I had the condition for about 2 years and was previously on beta blockers for this.

For years now and up to today I have had left sided chest pain. Sharp, stabbing, intermittent, you name it. However I basically have a structurally normal heart.

Have had all the tests you can have, MRIs, echos, you name it, and am always told the pain is non cardiac. E.g GERD, muscular etc but naturally I panic. Such as now as have had intermittent left sided pain all day.

Been burping and bloated most of the day to. How do you not panic in this sort of situation?

Mark801
19-05-11, 01:07
I just have one question. Did u have to me monitored to know u had WPW.

I mean I had 5 ecgs, 24hr monitor, a heart echo, blood work and 2 chest xrays and all were normal, and the docs say im fine.

I just wanted to know if u had to be monitored during your episodes...

Serb
19-05-11, 01:15

I mean I had 5 ecgs, 24hr monitor, a heart echo, blood work and 2 chest xrays and all were normal, and the docs say im fine.

There are different types of WPW. One of which will show up on any ECG, possibly even a resting one.

The variety i had was concealed. All that actually means in nothing showed up on a resting ecg.

It did show up on a holter monitor and on a stress test. When i say it showed up, i mean i was more than aware of it, rate was probably in the 200s.

It showed up as AF and SVT on a monitor, it was only when they did an EP study they could tell it was caused by a concealed pathway.

Serb
19-05-11, 01:16

it does sound like your fine. Best way to catch any arithmiya is on a monitor and if you've been cleared im sur eyou are

Mark801
19-05-11, 02:03
Thanks for the reply but I'm actually sorry I asked.....I feel as if I have this now....

Serb
19-05-11, 02:17
Thanks for the reply but I'm actually sorry I asked.....I feel as if I have this now....

I have had multiple eccho's, a cardiac MRI, cardiac PET scan more ECGs than I can remember and any pain in my chest I'm convinced is angina when the test results clearly show it's not!

The hardest part I guess is trusting your doctors.