PDA

View Full Version : Hot flushes & PA

nhf
21-05-11, 11:35
Hi

I wonder if anyone can help, i started suffering from anxiety and panic attacks about three months ago afer a health scare. My attacks always start with a hot flush to the head (kinda like blushing but a worse feeling). Its usually as soon as my head feels hot that seems to kick off the attack.

The hot feeling started Thursday and i paniced but managed to calm down with my breathing exercises. My problem now is that i seem to be stuck in a constant hot flush. The rest of me can be cold but my face is burning up and its making me very edgy and nervous :weep:.

Anyone have any suggestions to stop the hot flush? trying to avoid going to my doctor as whatever i visit him about he says its 'just anxiety'. He also doesnt like to give medication - he believes more in meditation not medication and has referred me to counsellor for the anxity.

ANy help would be greatly appreciated!!!!! xxxx

ana
21-05-11, 12:04
Hi there,

Yes, I get the hot flushes, too. I also get needles and pins in my fingers, and sometimes my limbs go numb which is particulary scary... Aslo, I seem to have this feeling of heat going up and down my body... It's very weird, but feels like a hot flush and goes away soon. What I realised, though, is that all of these symptoms either precede or follow a panic attack, or are simply the result of anxiety, so, in other words, you've got nothing to worry about. :)
I've been suffering from panic attacks for 10 years and I've experienced a myriad of different symptoms, but at the end of the day, it all comes down to anxiety. Please try not to worry too much over your symptoms, just try and ignore them, do some breathing exercises and reassure yourself that nothing bad is going to happen to you. It's just anxiety, there's nothing physically wrong with you :)
xxx

mac999
21-05-11, 12:14
Hi nhf I had the hot flushes when I stated having panic attacks what relaxed me was cold water to the face as for your doctor offering you medition I personally think he's doing he's job and not passing you off on crappy pills that just hides the attack and gives you back side affects good luck

nhf
21-05-11, 12:24
Thankyou both for the reply!

I'd like to beat these attacks without medication mac the side effects are the exact reason i want to avoid them.

I am getting better at coping with the attacks its just the constant hot feeling the last two days is making it difficult. x

ana
21-05-11, 12:38
I've been on meds, and withdrew them all at some point. The side effects were not actually that bad, or at least I didn't perceive them as bad as long as they were doing what they were supposed to be doing (i.e. calming me down).... I was a bit drowzy and sleepy, but that was all as far as the side effects go.
I'm certainly glad to hear that you are able to cope without medication. :) However, if you do get on meds, it's not that big a deal as long as you have your doctor to go to for advice.
Whatever the case, good luck! :flowers:
xxx

nhf
21-05-11, 15:39
Thankyou ana :flowers: xxx

ivegone!
22-05-11, 21:51
BABY WIPES!!!
I use my babys' wipes when this happens to me and it really helps me it cools it down and makes you realise it is just HOT nothing bad is wrong or a baby wipe wouldnt make it better...hope this helps!! let me know
Angela

emmawalton
23-05-11, 10:11
i get hot flushes too, thought i was the only one thank god for that all part of anxiety then.

nhf
23-05-11, 10:23
BABY WIPES!!!
I use my babys' wipes when this happens to me and it really helps me it cools it down and makes you realise it is just HOT nothing bad is wrong or a baby wipe wouldnt make it better...hope this helps!! let me know
Angela

Thank you Angela! I will give this a try :flowers: xx

i get hot flushes too, thought i was the only one thank god for that all part of anxiety then.

A very uncomfortable part!! It's nice to know your not alone, :flowers: xx