PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety - is this normal?

monkfishjoe
21-05-11, 19:41
Hi, firstly I'm sorry if a similar post has been written before. Please bear with me.

Some history: I'm 28 and have suffered anxiety and depression on and off since I was about 13 (and have been 'successfully' treated for these at various points). I have recently (6 weeks ago) been diagnosed with anxiety and depression, but it is unlike anything I have felt before. I was admitted to hospital, suddenly to have my appendix removed and since then have had massive health anxiety.

SInce coming out of hospital I have 'had' heart attack, stroke, bowel cancer, prostate cancer, brain tumour and my new fear vCJD... This is all in the space of 5 weeks.

I am having at least one panic attack every day and feel in the past few days, feel that they are getting worse. They are more extreme and it is taking longer for me to calm dowm.

In the past I have always been able to rationalise things and convince myself that the chances of having any of these things is very small. I have also been able to believe doctors and other people when they say 'You don't have illness X'. Now, I can't. I am constantly thinking that I have been mis-diagnosed or that the Dr has missed something.

Is this normal? I know the hospital visit could be seen as the trigger, but I've never felt so scared and out of control as I have these past 6 weeks.

I genuinely didn't know anxiety/panic could affect me for most of my waking hours, every day.

Any reassurance from people with similar experiences would be greatly welcomed.

xJust_Sarahx
21-05-11, 19:49
Hi
I have had a panic disorder since the age of 15/16 and im 23 now so i know how it drags etc.
I feel the same when i have been to the doctors about something im really concerned about for them to tell me im ok.
Im left thinking it could be one of those cases where something has been missed and then next time it will be too late for me.
When i go to the doctors with a concern for example my breathing - i always feel wheezy and have to cough and i feel breathless, therefore it prevents me from doing anything. In my mind thats Asthma to me. But when i tell the doctor the symptoms they look at my records and see i have a panic disorder and automaticly link it to that. I feel that i would feel better if they actually tested me and ruled it out.

So yeah.. i know exactly what you mean. Im always diagnosing myself with things, and even when i was in hospital having my baby i didnt feel safe and like i could control my anxiety.

I guess how im coping with it now is trying to embrace it and challenging myself.

monkfishjoe
22-05-11, 20:25
Thanks for replying - it sounds like you've had it tough having panic disorder for so long.

How many panic attacks do you have in an average week? Mine have been really bad at the moment and I've been having several panic attacks per day. Is this normal?

Thanks

Chezzie
22-05-11, 20:36
Sounds like the hospital triggered it. I seem to have a low level of anxirty all the time just lately with highs and lows. I have had every type of cancer going if i listen to my head. It is scary. Have you been to the Dr to explain this? They are usually very understanding and helpful.

Janvi
23-05-11, 11:44
Hi there,

You are not alone.Ive beein there and im still there. In fact ive delivered in September 2010 last year. Since this year im getting breathlessness, cough, checst pain etc n im fearing to go to the doc. Ive been suffering from anxiety and attacks since the age of 15 and im 31 ys old now.
Im still suffering from this illness. So you are not alone.

monkfishjoe
23-05-11, 13:56
@Chezzie - I have been to my docs. They have been helpful, but there is not much reassurance they can offer me at the moment I think. I know it's going to be a long slog before I start to believe that I will get better. THey did at least say that it is common for people who have panic attacks to be so concerned about thier health.

@Janvi- I'm sorry to hear you are still suffering panic attacks after so many years. It is nice to know I am not alone in feeling the way I do though. It's very easy to get into the frame of mind that you are all alone in the world and that can lead to very dark thoughts. We are not alone.