PDA

View Full Version : SMOKING.......

hayles
19-04-06, 09:36
I dont know if I am posting this in the right section.
so forgive me if i am in the wrong place!

I have suffered with panic attacks for about 5-6 years on and off!
Lately it has manifested inot what i can anly assume is Health Anxiety.

I worry about my healt all the time, if I have a pain twinge, headache, sore throat, I think that this is it, that I have got some horrible disease and that I am gonna die!

However the strangest thing is that I SMOKE!!!!
Only every now and then, more so when I am having a panic attack
or when I am feeling nervy! I used to smoke about 3 years ago then I gave up and only ever had one if I was really drunk. But just lately when I panic, the first thing I do is smoke.

It is the only thing that calms me down, I guess coz it probabaly regulates my breathing.

I am so stressed out I cannot seem to give them up. I have a few a day, sometimes none, sometimes 10!
I am so scared, coz it is so bad for me but at the mo I havent the strength to quit.

Does anyone else find this, can anyone relate.
Am i a complete Hypocrite worrying about my health and then smoking?

Some advise or friendly words would be greatly appreciated

Hay x

joanne87
19-04-06, 10:33
Hello Hay,

I completely know where your coming from, when i first got diagnoised with anxiety and panic, i was really bad and the doc signed me off work for two weeks, all i did was panic, smoke (loads) and try to eat. i find that when im having a panic i do tend to smoke and it calms me down, its prob the nicotine and because your also concentrating.

I know smoking is bad for you but at the moment i am a smoker and if it helps calm me down then i will smoke one. i do intend of quitting but not untill i have overcome this anxiety problem, because at the moment it will just cause more stress and prob trigger it.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Jo x x

hayles
19-04-06, 10:35
Thanks Jo,

That does help.
My Partner hates me smoking, but he is coming
round to the idea that at the mo I havent the strength not to
I really wish I did!!!!

Hay x

joanne87
19-04-06, 10:46
I wish id have the strength to quit aswell but at the moment my main priority is the anxiety and depression.
if you dont feel you have the strength to quit at the moment dont try and force yourself, if your partner is coming round to the idea and it is helping you in the short term, dont worry yourself even more by forcing yourself to quit.

You can only quit if you really want to do it and you have the strength to fight it.

hayles
19-04-06, 10:49
I guess sometimes you just have to give yourself a break!

I am getting married in less then 3 months, this is when all the anxiety came back!!!! So at the Mo i gues i just accept that if smiking gets me trough this on a short term then so be it!

Thanks Jo x

Hay x

joanne87
19-04-06, 10:57
Your welcome Hay,

Just re read the post and it sounds abit like im recommending smoking as a short term help, im not lol

If you can, try and find other things to help you through and try not to rely on the cigerettes, you dont have to accept anything especially when it comes to smoking.

Most people smoke because it is a habit and the occasional non/ex smokers tend to smoke when drinking or when needed (i.e bad day) so dont put yourself in the catergory of smoker just yet.

Jo x x

hayles
19-04-06, 11:07
Jo,

I Know. of course we are not recommending it.
We just need to learn not to be too hard on ourselves!

I will Quit this 'social smoking' lark, or at least cut down!!!

wot a donut i worry about my health yet feel better
when i have a fag!!!!! Does not make any sence... lol

Hay x

joanne87
19-04-06, 11:13
i do exactly the same, sit there having a fag, thinking about what if i die from various illnesses and questioning my health while im sitting there smoking away, its crazy i know, but the fact that im sitting there smoking doesnt faze me, its wierd

Jo x x

hayles
20-04-06, 16:52
Jo,

Havent had a fag today so far!

Hay x

joanne87
20-04-06, 16:53
WELL DONE HAY!!!

How is your day going so far?

Jo x

hayles
20-04-06, 17:00
Pants actually,

I have bad neck and chest pains.
But no change there!

You?

Hay x

joanne87
20-04-06, 17:03
pants aswell actually lol, had a headache all day and worrying.

So what made you not have one just didnt fancy one?

Jo x

shiv
20-04-06, 19:36
I can totally relate. In fact my anxiety started after along absense when I stopped smoking. So I'm with you on this one

Shiv x

Darren76
20-04-06, 22:10
i know it doesnt help physiologically (ie stimulates the CNS) but sometimes a fag and a sitdown does help me calm myself down

much as i want to give up.....im not until i've got more of a handle on my anxiety....

hayles
21-04-06, 08:50
Hey Shiv and Daz,
Thanks for your words of support, its good to hear.

Jo,
I idnt have one, partly coz I was trying to be good and partly beacuse I didnt have any and couldnt justify buying any!!!!

Hay x

joanne87
21-04-06, 14:53
Hi Hay,

Glad that you didnt buy any and that you couldnt justify it, well done.

how have you been since?

Jo x

hayles
21-04-06, 15:06
Still havent smoked....still stressed.

am having a medical next week so feel a bit nervous about that.
Hows you?

Hay x

joanne87
21-04-06, 15:49
Well done, your doing very well (better than i could lol)

Try and relax and not think about it (easier said than done)

Im okay thank you, still smoking lol.

Do you feel abit better or do you think its adding to the stress?

Jo x

hayles
21-04-06, 16:42
Jo

I am permenantly stressed.
My Family is such a mess and cause
christ knows how much stress I just dont think I will ever be stress free...lol

Normality......whats that?

X

Hay x

joanne87
22-04-06, 09:45
Hi Hay,

sorry it took so long, forgot my laptop last night.

I think your asking the wrong person what normality is because i dont have a clue lol.

Hope all is still going well on the smoking front, will be thinking about you over the weekend as they are the hardest times to anybody stopping smoking.

have you tried any relaxation things (sorry cant spell tecuniqes)
Or maybe just the simple ones like walking, going to the gym? Ive started the gym recently and apart from waking up every morining with every muscle in my body aching, i think its working and it def helps me to sleep thats for sure :)

Anyway,

If i dont speak to you over the weekend, i hope all goes well and we will catch up on the little diary next week

have a nice weekend

Tc
Jo x x

hayles
24-04-06, 09:03
Hey jo.
Well the smoking over teh weekend went to pot completely.
But hey I knew it would...lol.
Maybe I should just try not smoke in the week and try not to be too hard on myself if I smoke at weekends!

Weekend was ok, I spose, normal family nightmares going on but then seems to be a permenant feature in my life!!!

Last year I did some running to try and loose a bit of wieght which was good, but cannot even think of atrting it up again as have no energy!!! I have started swimming though, which I find very relaxing!

I am getting married in 10 weeks, so need to get in shape!!!

Hope you weekend was ok!!!

Hay x

mazzatazza
12-10-06, 07:49
hi i smoke and im terrible especially when i am panicky stressed and depressed the dr told me to give it up and i said well at the moment i havnt got the strength but when i get better i might try but all you need is strong willpower and if like us that stress and panick easily its easier said than done mazza xx

mrs m bevis