PDA

View Full Version : Good way to stop a Panic/Anxiety attack

labridges7
23-05-11, 00:39
Right, this is going to sound like madness, but trust me, it works!

You know when you start to panic/have an attack you try to distract yourself? Well i found this never worked - the panic voice would take over and before I knew it I was in full swing/ no going back!

I ended up having it with driving - i literally couldnt drive a car or id have one (fear of death - driving = possible death). So this was happening one day and my voice was taking over and I realised that in our minds we have several different thoughts running simultaneously - like you can have a converstation, whilst thinking about what you need to do today, whilst worrying about that itch on your shoulder, right?

So, i figured I needed to distract these 3 thought levels.

So first I sing out loud - '100 green bottles sitting on the wall' - and id sing it over and over, going down and down '99, 98, 97' etc, so that kept one of them busy.

Then at the same time as singing that out loud, I's start counting to 10 in my head .... '1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10' and then back down again...'10, 9, 8,' etc. so that had my second one covered.

(now for the tricky part) Now this is the best bit, because the third one is the hardest to shut up - it is like the main tanoy for panic announcements. So I really got it to work hard.... Id make the third one count too, but backwards of what the second one was counting...

So id be:

1. Singing green bottles out loud
2, Counting to ten and the backwards 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
3. Couting backwards and then up to ten 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

ALL AT EXACTLY THE SAME TIME.

The above is to stop a coming or present panic attack thats about to or is actually happening.

Ok, this does sound mad, but trust me, its amazing!!!! After 15 mins of this (its exausting) I would have avoided the panic attack and be back to my 'normal' self.

Also try singing Disney to calm yourself (my husband and I would sing Aladdin 'whole new world' together regularly in A and E hehe they thought I was barmy its a miracle I wasnt sectioned) and I would also listen to Classical music whenever I could - especially to put me to sleep...

So these things are worth a try - let me know if you have any success!!!

I am now a fully recovered severe HA/Panic/Anxiety disorder sufferer and totally believe that you will all recover too.....

Love,

Laura xx

daybyday
23-05-11, 00:49
You are right how the anxiety mind can think multiple things at one time.