PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice please :)

Missy1987
23-05-11, 11:34
Hi all im new here but ive visited a few times when looking for info :)

Im not too sure what im suffering with i thought it was social anxiety but maybe im agoraphobic, Ive never been able to hold down a job for very long and left school early as i always felt ill and much safer better at home i guess home is my 'safe place'

Im currently on sick leave from work, id managed to work about 8 months before i started to get symptoms, i was in a queue at a shop it was really busy and i was rushing to get to work and whilst stood in the queue i felt like i was going to wee myself, id never felt like that before and a sudden rush of panic came over me i quickly paid and ran to work, and i was fine once id got to work.

Then i kept noticing whenever we were busy (i work in retail) and i was on the tills at work that feeling of 'im going to wee myself' came back and it was hard for me to get off the tills and keep running to the toilet, but when i did there was never anything there so i knew i didnt need to go, i assumed maybe i had an infection and went to the doctors who confirmed no infection.. anyway for months after i kept going to work with this horrible feeling then it started happening on the bus to work as i think i was getting myself so worked up about it happening.

I got to a point where i was having really bad anxiety every morning before work, crying, stomach cramps feeling like i had that 'ball of anxiety' in my tummy and one morning id had enough and just couldnt go in so went to doctor who signed me off work.

After that i didnt leave the house for weeks on end as i felt much better in the house, now i cant go out on my own, whenever im out I feel like im going to hit someone or push someone over, even though i dont want to hurt anyone at all, and when im in an uncomfortable situation i get the feeling of 'im going to wee myself' almost like an urge which i have to try really hard to stop myself weeing' its really destroying my life as i loved my job, and id love to be able to take my dog for a quick walk every day, I also cant go anywhere busy like town centres, supermarkets etc im ok going to a local pub for some tea with my bf i dont feel too anxious then, and i can just about go to the vets with him if we need to go with any of our pets but anywhere else and i really struggle, im ok in some shops as long as they are not big, busy and we aint going to be in there more than a few mins but even then sometimes i'll opt to sit in the car.

Ive been trying to take my dog out and i managed it for a few days but on the 4th day we saw someone else whilst there and i worried sick all day id hurt them and it stopped us going again, i always check behind me too when im out even though i'll be with my mum or bf etc im always looking behind me to make sure ive not hurt someone or hit them etc

I also feel like im not totally with it all the time like my head is somewhere else, i felt like this for a while even when i was working is that a symptom of anxiety?

Im currently on medication called venlafaxine as i got really down and was crying on a daily basis but these have really helped and im not longer like that and feel much happier :) i was seeing a cbt who referred me on tosomeone more in-depth but ive never recieved the referral even after chasing it up.

just wondering are my symptoms that of social anxiety or agoraphobia? oh and i also suffer with ocd, i have a problem with dirt/germs and getting ill so i do the excessive hand washing and i have the irrational thoughts that come with ocd.

Thanks for reading sorry its so long!

Tyke
24-05-11, 17:09
Hi Missy

It sounds like you have a mixture of anxieties as well as OCD. It would probably be classed as GAD (General Anxiety Disorder). Some peoples anxieties are more specific to certain situations, but GAD sufferers can find it happens at various times. This can include Agoraphobia, Social Anxiety etc.

I have GAD and don't fit neatly into some of the pigeonholes. I would say I am socially anxious, but I am able to chat to people normally (usually), I don't like travelling too far from home, but I can do. These things get better or worse depending on my general anxiety state. I had a bad spell recently where I hated going out and didn't want to talk to anyone after a period of prolonged stress, but I came through it.

I wouldn't worry too much about labels, just try and find the best ways you can of dealing with your situation. I would chase up that referral again and try to get some more help professionally.

Tyke