PDA

View Full Version : Worried about vertigo issue

DrTroy
23-05-11, 12:40
Hi, 6 weeks ago I got an issue with my left ear where I could hear my heart beat at night when it was quiet. Last week I woke up with vertigo which was really bad, couldnt drive, or walk very well. Never had vertigo before either.
Went to doctors that day, doctor gave me anti dizziness tablets, which didnt work. Still have it which is now making my HA kick in and Im worried about all manner of brain related things.

Wondering whether to leave it longer, or go back and ask for a scan.....

what do you think?

LucyR
23-05-11, 12:57
Hello, Was the Vertigo spinning type Vertigo or just light headed feelings? The chances are that it is your ear that is at fault, if that was what started this feeling to begin with. It should wear off by itself, or perhaps if it continues, you could go back to your doctor and explain and get other tablets and an examination of your inner ear.

DrTroy
23-05-11, 13:05
Spinning type, also accompanied with top head pressure but more prominent when walking or tilting head forward. Its not getting any worse, and it was a sudden onset so logic would say nothing sinister, HA says it could be !

LucyR
23-05-11, 13:59
Hi, Yes, I would say the ear issue has caused the spinning which has made you afraid and the fear is making the vertigo worse. Not being able to drive or to walk properly isn't nice at all and I do hope you get better very soon.

shoegal
23-05-11, 14:11
I get bouts of vertigo which actually make me nauseous and sick. All I can do during attacks is lie down and wait for them to pass. I have never had tests and I've had the symptoms on and off for years, so I don't think it means there is anything seriously wrong. It is most likely caused by an ear problem or anxiety.

BettyIW
23-05-11, 14:12
My dad has had two episodes of this 30 years apart - very nasty episodes - he just falls to the ground. Last time the doc said usually a quick movement dislodges something or creates an imbalance and thats what brings it on. My Dad was fine for 30 years inbetween attacks and you will be too X

DrTroy
23-05-11, 14:35
Thanks peoples, would it be normal to last over a week?

shoegal
23-05-11, 14:40
It's difficult to say. I have had bouts of vertigo that have lasted for a week, but I have had little bits of repsite during that time. I do have weeks where it keeps coming and going. If it is symptom of anxiety then I suppose it could be constant. If you're worried you should go and see your GP and explain that the medication hasn't worked. If nothing else they will be able to reassure you that nothing is seriously wrong. You don't need to have any tests done unless your Dr sees symptoms that they are concerned about. If your Dr is not concerned, you don't need to be.

DrTroy
23-05-11, 17:41
Okay thanks, I shall give it a few days and maybe go see my gp

Thanks

Littleweed
23-05-11, 21:20
I to suffer from vertigo, and it is horrible, i had attack several years ago and have probally had 5 attacks since , it is a horrid sensations but it will pass

As others have said if you are worried go back to your doctor or ring NHS direct to ask there advice

Hopefully you will feel better soon

carole123
19-08-11, 15:59
Hi, 6 weeks ago I got an issue with my left ear where I could hear my heart beat at night when it was quiet. Last week I woke up with vertigo which was really bad, couldnt drive, or walk very well. Never had vertigo before either.
Went to doctors that day, doctor gave me anti dizziness tablets, which didnt work. Still have it which is now making my HA kick in and Im worried about all manner of brain related things.

Wondering whether to leave it longer, or go back and ask for a scan.....

what do you think?

It should clear by itself as i have this a lot. Must be anxiety as so many have this symptom although i do have ear problems aswell. So i think its a case of chicken and egg ( which came first)