PDA

View Full Version : 50 to 100 mg (Help?)

She Alone
24-05-11, 00:34
I've been on Sertraline for 5 weeks now. I felt relief in the first two weeks on 50 mg and it was like I was finally returning to my old self again. I was (dare I say it?) happy! However it slowly felt like it was kind of tapering off (if that makes sense) so my Dr upped my dosage to 100 mg and I've been on that for a week now and it seems like everything got worse. I'm irritable, down again, and I'm just beyond exhausted. The biggest issue is that I'm depressed/angry a lot of the time like I used to be before I started the meds in the beginning.

Is this normal (ie: has it happened to any of you before) or is this just a product of maybe my situation? I have been under some more stress lately, but it seemed with the 50 mg that I was able to over look stupid things that pissed me off and handle big stresses with a clearer head before. And now . . . I'm just a ball of pissyness again.

She Alone
27-05-11, 22:19
Anyone?

Kate21
21-06-11, 09:59
This is exactly what has happened to me! I had such a good week when I got used to the 50mg then upped to a 100mg now I can't sleep again, feel really low, tearful, horrible thoughts.
I see this is quite an old post, how are you now? does it get better? x

martyrich
24-06-11, 14:43
Hello. I find the whole SSRI taking business between tricky and lifesaving.
The biggest issue I have with it is 'plateauing'.
It is great coming up or going down. Both of these have a really pleasant effect, I like the changes and the freedom each one feels it is giving.
I take a half dose, 25mg, of sertraline. Just enough to focus me, reduce mood swings but most of all increase reward behaviour, where I do something because there is a pay-off.
Without it I am like my teenage years and twenties, abrasive, angry, unfocused, miserable, unmotivated.
Too much and I feel like a robot.
Whatever I take, plateaus off, becomes ineffective, like a shield, but no good vibes, just samey. Taking more just feels robotic and clogged.
I find the coming off and back on, a holiday, makes it work again. Eventually it stalls, but this is the paradox contained in it. Also boosting testosterone levels with supplements is very effective, I am surprised to learn.

She Alone
25-06-11, 19:36
Thanks for the info.

I've been on 100 mg for a month and a half, I was on 50 for a month before that and right now I can't tell if it works. Mostly because the insomnia side effect kind of makes everything else seem null and void. I have good days, I have bad days and I can't really even remember what my bad days felt like before the meds.

My husband is on 50mg of Sertraline after a month of Citalopram (and an improper starting dose which cause major side effects). He's on medical leave from work so now I got him to worry about, bills to worry about, and neither of us are sleeping at night so nothing really gets done during the day.

Hence . . . can't tell if the meds are even working. I keep hoping that they'll kick in or something will happen and things will be well again, but honestly right now the only thing that's keeping me from stopping the pills all together is how scared I am of discontinuation symptoms and withdrawals.

Kate21
26-06-11, 19:20
The insomnia is the worst thing for me. I work early shifts too so I don't have time to be laying awake tossing and turning it's driving me mad! does anyone know if the insomnia goes away?
let me know how you get on with it, we seem to be almost on the same time scale with it so it would be good to know what happens x