PDA

View Full Version : need advice from people with health anxiety

Jeanine25
24-05-11, 07:59
Ok so as you may have discovered I do have health anxiety and not just a mild form of it either.

It was so bad at one point that I would experience the ''stroke'' like symptoms and convince myself I was gonna drop down dead there and then but thankfully those symptoms dissapeared.
I had the same dr for 25 years, he was brilliant and he knew the reasons why I suffered health anxieties as he had seen me grow up!
He never wanted me to take medication because he knew I dealt with it in my own way and didnt really need to be medicated for it.

The thing with my health anxiety is that I will sit and worry myself stupid until I have got the answers. My latest worry being ovarian cancer...

I have worried about developing leukemia, ovarian cancer, brain tumours, skin cancer, stomach cancer, breast cancer... pretty much every cancer there is..
The disease TERRIFIES me.
I don't just worry about me but for my family too- when my family have to go for tests at the drs I prepare myself for the worst... this is because in the passed I have had to deal with the ''worst''...

My health anxiety is also hightened by dr and hospital enviroments where I psychically shake when Im in one... to say they terrify me is an absolute understatement... I dont think people really understand.

Unfortunately my dr of 25 years had to let me go because I moved out of the area so now Im facing all sorts from everyone- The new dr thinks Im crackers, Im sure- and others I have met in a medical enviroment think I am weird :(
When I took my son for a consultation regarding undescended teste, I was in tears, scared out of my mind about an operation hes got to have- I was begging for alternatives and was told if I didnt allow the op to go ahead the hospital will get the social services to make the decision for me.. this sent my worries in to overdrive, why would anyone threaten a vulnerable mother with this? my sons condition isnt even THAT serious as I learned when I got another opinion from a private surgeon, however he did advise an op needed doing but my son would live a healthy life if the testis was left where it is as its ALMOST in the sac (unlike some which cant even be felt)....

it just seems people like me are a great target for drs when they want to get their own way :(
Ive recently seen a dr who wants to ''refer'' me to someone.... I DONT WANT to be referred to anyone, do they not understand that by pressing the issue it will make a person worse?

I have learned to deal with my health anxiety- I admit it is not pleasant to sit there and worry but if Im left alone to deal with it im some what OK.

For example, If I go to the drs and they wanna check blood pressure etc, I'll first sit there and panic about it because I know it'll be high... so they tell me ''ok, I wont do anything you dont want me to do''- that then makes me feel better and I find myself WANTING to know what my blood pressures like so I then say ''ok, if you really want to do it, its ok''...

Is anyone else facing issues where they feel people are pressing the issue way too much???
After I had my second son I begged to leave the hospital- my anxieties went nuts on me and I couldnt stand being there or being away from my eldest son for any longer... My newborn was perfectly healthy and although I lost a fair bit of blood my iron levels were not drastically low and I felt ''ok'' to go.....
they let me leave 14 hours after birth but they wanted to call the social services on me because of my so-called ''strange behaviour''....
the women who were making these judgements had only met me for like 5 minutes and decided it's within their power to call the social services? :( for 2 weeks I got no sleep worrying they would come and take my kids away because people thought I was ''odd'' :( and now that has become one of my greatest worries, having my children taken away!!!!

Im a good mum even if I do say so myself. I worship my kids and never let them see me worry.... as a child the social services were involved heavily in my family as my mother abused all 6 of her children :(
I ended up being sent to live with my grandparents but my other siblings were not so fortunate and were sent into care homes...
When I was just 5, the woman who would have been like my mother died of cancer :( when I was just 9 my uncle (who I would now call my brother) committed suicide (we were very close), so all I had left in my life was my grandad who I now call dad...
Is it any surprise I worry so much??? I have basically go no family left...
Abusive mother, watch my siblings sent into care screaming, my ''brother'' kills himself (i can still remember the police calling round at 3am to tell us they found his body)...

I just dont understand why people cant leave me alone... I worry so much because I care. Why does that make me mad? Im not mad, I'm just a bit different to the average ''jane''!!!
Drs say I need to talk to someone, but I dont want to, why would I want to sit there telling someone I dont know my problems? why would anyone want to drag up all those horrible memories?

My dad has now got to go for tests too, Im so scared I cant sleep... If anything happens to him I have nobody... people say " you have your children now" but what I always end up saying to them is, "no, my children have ME.... who do I have for myself?"

Sorry to have gone on a bit... I just needed to try and make someone understand.. drs etc dont have time for me to sit there explaining to them. Infact ya know what I might do, I might write out a letter and send it to the medical people to put in my records...
I once saw a psychiatrist when I was pregnant.. she only needed to see me the once as she felt I only needed to see her the once but when she read my medical history she said she felt sad for me :( and quite frankly, sometimes I even feel sad for me..... :(
What can I do to make people understand? I just want to live a happy life with what bit of family I have left... :( Sorry if my thread sent some of you to sleep. xxxxx

eeyorelover
24-05-11, 08:19
Wow Jeanine!
You have been thru a lot! It's no wonder you worry!
If you called your previous doctor whom you obviously respected could you ask if there is a doc in your area he would recommend? OR...Since he was your doc for so many years perhaps he would call the new one and have a talk with him ;)

I wouldn't turn down the chance to be referred to someone so quickly. Maybe it would be a good idea to have someone you could sit and talk to about your worries. It least it would give you the chance to let it all out and get a fresh perspective from a professional who might have some suggestions.

The main thing is if you get a doctor, therapist, nurse, etc...that is unprofessional or unhelpful, you have the right to walk out and go somewhere else. BUT don't give up! All it takes is one chance meeting with a doc like your previous one and the two of you can work together to manage your healthcare :)
(((HUGS)))
xxx
Sandy

Jeanine25
24-05-11, 08:32
Wow Jeanine!
You have been thru a lot! It's no wonder you worry!
If you called your previous doctor whom you obviously respected could you ask if there is a doc in your area he would recommend? OR...Since he was your doc for so many years perhaps he would call the new one and have a talk with him ;)

I wouldn't turn down the chance to be referred to someone so quickly. Maybe it would be a good idea to have someone you could sit and talk to about your worries. It least it would give you the chance to let it all out and get a fresh perspective from a professional who might have some suggestions.

The main thing is if you get a doctor, therapist, nurse, etc...that is unprofessional or unhelpful, you have the right to walk out and go somewhere else. BUT don't give up! All it takes is one chance meeting with a doc like your previous one and the two of you can work together to manage your healthcare :)
(((HUGS)))
xxx
Sandy

Sandy I dont want to be ''managed'' tho :( this is what Im fighting against at the moment.
My previous dr was an absolute diamond- he would even joke when I went to see him ''Hello Jeanine, what you dying of today'', and THATS what I need...

I dont need people sitting there, legs crossed, frowning, thinking ''hmmm, something not right with you''

My previous dr managed my grandma's care when she was dying and he was there thru everything.. when he let me go I was absolutely gutted,
I tried re-registering with the surgery and was turned down :(
Everytime I felt someone had an issue with me I would say ''Go and ask dr (x)'' and I felt confident that would be the end of that but now who have I got?
He said I needed to find new people as he wasnt practising much in that surgery anymore but to me I didnt care, at least I could say he was still my dr...he was more than that, he was a friend too... but if ever I tried to use that to get back into the surgery, his boss' would take one look at why I wanna come back and say no because it's on a ''personal'' basis and not professional. Of COURSE it'd be personal, he's been in my family 30 years or more.
I REALLY dont want people bullying me anymore.. it scares me :(
There must be SOMETHING I can do to make them understand and make them stop... Im not mad.. if I was mad my previous dr would have done something YEARS ago....

Thanks for the reply Sandy xxxx

soya
24-05-11, 08:45
Hi Jeanine, don't know if this is of any help but have you thought about doing an Alpha course? know someone who did this at home and it completely transformed her life. Also is there a 'Mind' near you? they offer lots of support in their centres and some do a befriending service where they come out to your home

macc noodle
24-05-11, 10:48
Hi Jeanine

Reading this post shows so much more about you than health anxiety. Given how much you have experienced in your life so far, it is no wonder that you have problems that you need help with.

I know that it must be scary to ask for help given your background BUT you do need someone to help you "reprogramme" your thinking to help conquer the health anxiety aspect of your mental health.

However, hun, there are clearly other issues that you need help to deal with - MIND would be a great place to start - no judgements there - just people who want to help and who really understand how people feel.

Hope you get the help you need to enjoy your life with your children

xxx