PDA

View Full Version : Advice on how to deal with something please?

Purple Fish
24-05-11, 20:43
I've suffered anxiety for a few years and have been off meds for over a year now and doing very well.

I just need some advice on how to deal with something. It's not really anxiety related but does cause me some anxiety if that makes sense?!

It bothers me rather a lot that my mum and dad are close to my brother's girlfriend's family. They're always meeting up, talking about them, eating out with them etc,etc. I have spoken to my mum about how I feel as it's taking a bit of a toll on the relationship I have with my only brother. His girlfriend is annoying and I don't have a lot in common with her but I try to get on with her because of my brother.

I know they will continue to be close and I can't change that but how do I contain my jealousy? Is there something I can train myself to do or think? :unsure:

Tyke
25-05-11, 02:15
Hi Purple Fish

Your parents sound like they are really keen on your brother's girlfriend's family. As you don't really hit it off with his girlfriend either it does make things tricky. What exactly is it that really bothers you? Do you feel that your parents are not there for you in the same way? Maybe you could try and do more things with your parents when you know they will be on their own. Would it be worthwhile trying to get involved with any of these meetings with the brother's girlfriend's family, in order to get to know them better, and maybe not feel so left out?

Tyke

Purple Fish
25-05-11, 07:15
Thanks for the reply Tyke, I suppose I do feel that my parents favour my brother as they spend so much time with him. It doesn't help that their houses back on to each other too! I'm not bothered about spending time with my brother's future in laws we have done in the past and still not felt a part of their little 'click'.
We are going on holiday with my parents soon and I do try to talk about this a lot in front of my brother so he realises they are my parents also!
I suppose we can do more with my parents, but it has slacked off recently due to all this tension. I guess I will have to arrange things but the problem does sometimes tend to be that my mum always wants my brother's future in laws involved too!!
Aaaaaagghhhh!!!

Tyke
25-05-11, 17:10
Hmmmm - might be worth putting your foot down with your mum - you should be able to do things with your parents without the extra company in the circumstances. I can see why it gets to you. I would just say you want some time on your own with them and spell out how important they are to you.

Tyke

Purple Fish
25-05-11, 21:25
Yeah you're right, I will carry on and arrange things with my mum and dad, also my brother and his girlfriend, but will put my foot down discreetly when it comes to my brother's future in laws. After all they're nothing to do with us!