PDA

View Full Version : What is best way to come off Citalopram?

Lion King
24-05-11, 21:32
Does anyone have any success stories for coming off citalopram?

I am on 40mg at present and I have been for the last 2 1/2 years, I am feeling ok but concerned about the side effects when coming off this medication.

Thanks

Lion King :yesyes:

suzy-sue
25-05-11, 00:41
Ive come down from 35mg to 15mg .I dont feel any different Lion King .I did it very slowly 5mg reduction at a time .Then I waited to see how I felt after 6 weeks on each dose .Im due to cut down to 10mg this week .I felt dizzy and a bit sick the last two times for a few days .then had the odd day I felt in a low mood .Agitated at times and tired on the odd occassion .Its stablised again so thats why im going to reduce again .It gets harder the lower the dose .See how you go ..From everything Ive read on the subject ,and thats been a lot .Its the best way to do it .Good Luck .. Sue x

Lion King
25-05-11, 21:58
Thanks Sue,

I'm going to consider reducing down to 30mg hopefully that will stabilise for a couple of weeks until the next drop to 20mg. My new job has no real pressure at the minute and home life is very calm too so I think now could be the time to step down and be brave.

Cheers Sue

LK x

suzy-sue
26-05-11, 00:20
Sounds like a good time LK ..Just dont reduce again until you feel stable ..I didnt sart to feel bad with the withdrawal effects until I got down to 20mg .I am very sensitive to Cit and 5mg makes a lot of difference to me ,thats why I have done it extra slowly .I hope you will be ok too .Good luck .x

Lion King
26-05-11, 17:28
Thanks Sue,

I've had time to think about what to do with reducing the dose, you are right I need to stabilise on 30mg until I'm comfortable to take the next drop.

Hopefully this will not be as bad as when I went cold turkey a few weeks ago and I felt absolutely rotten!

LK x :D

Lion King
29-05-11, 10:38
Day 3 on 30mg still feel good, lets see what I'm like in a weeks time!

annette1
29-05-11, 11:48
Hi LK
I've been thinking of doing this too. I'm on 40mg & would like to know how much recovery I have made.
The advice my gp has given me is to cut down by 5mg every few weeks.

I hope you're getting on ok with reduction & you're new job is going well.

Lion King
29-05-11, 19:50
Thanks Annette,

Its trial and error for me, felt a bit agitated as day went home. I think its down to having too much energy at times and nowhere to channel it, I used to be really active but since son came along I have put all this on the backseat! I need a hobby or even join a club to vent all energy/adrenaline out of my system.

I assume the best way for reducing medication is to not over-analyse how we are feeling all the time and focus on what we are doing by way of distraction. Usual cliche, easier said than done. I hope you all the best, let me know your progress and hopefully we can help each other out.

Take care

LK x

Lion King
30-05-11, 13:05
Felt really agitated last night, too much excess energy but can't be bothered to do anything.

I really need to sort something out!

LK

Lion King
04-06-11, 19:58
One week on 30mg and I'm feelong pretty good, so no grumbles so far!

Lion King
11-06-11, 00:09
2 weeks on, had alot of back tension at the beginnning of the week but gladly no anxiety problems at all, feeling no back problem now. The 30mg is settling down really well so I'm going to give it one more week before reducing to 20mg (It also helps having a stress free job! :)).

A happy Lion

suzy-sue
11-06-11, 00:17
Great news Lion King ..Well done ..Im cutting down again next week too ...:scared15:to 10 mg ...Good luck and keep me posted ..:hugs:Sue x

Lion King
14-06-11, 17:48
Hi Sue,

I've cut back to 20mg for last 3 days, I feel more tension than anxiety but i'm sure this will fade away!

All the best Sue with reduction, I'm positive you will be fine!

LK x

Lion King
18-06-11, 03:55
Just starting to feel some side effects, very strange! When I am talking I go to say a word and I stop halfway through and say the word again as if having to re-think what I am saying. I am starting to do this regular towards back end of the week, I am becoming self-conscious that I look nervous or daft or a bit slow!!

I will try not to worry as I am or I shuld be more aware that worrying or self-examining only feeds the anxiety. Time to chill me thinks!

LK

bluejeans17
21-06-11, 10:29
LK & Sue

I often find posts from you guys that I can identify with and they always help me feel better!

I went on Cit in April 2009 and have been slowly coming off them since January this year cutting down 5 mgs at a time. I have been fine and finally took my last 5 mgs 3 weeks ago.

However the last week or so I have been feeling not so good and have started stressing. I feel really tired all the time, not sleeping, grumpy and I feel light headed and a bit spacy - can I still be feeling the effects at this stage? I started taking them in the first place because of depression and health anx and now I am worried that I am going to revert back to that horrible place!

Is this normal?

Thanks guys

BJ

suzy-sue
21-06-11, 10:54
This is normal ,and it can go on for a while BJ .I had my last reduction abt8 weeks ago and found myself feeling worse the past couple of weeks in regard to mood .The feeling of dread every morning and generally feeling very low .Agitated and tired /spacey ..Never felt like this for a couple of years ..This has made me halt any further reductions until I stabilise again ..The body has to get used to not having them in your system and like it was when you went on them ,It takes 6-8 weeks to feel the real effects sometimes longer ..Slowly you should see yourself feeling better and the tiredness will go .Until then try to see this as a period of adjusment ,and just accept it as that .Not as yourself going back to how you were ..It s just like a dark cloud and it will soon pass over ..Take care of yourself with regard to rest ,even if you dont sleep well ,and also get some excercise it will keep your mood level up ..Good luck and keep posting for support if you need to ..luv Sue xx:hugs:

bluejeans17
21-06-11, 11:15
You are so kind Sue - I can't tell you what a great support all this is. This is such a fab forum and really helped me through the really dark days. I have got a holiday in the sun coming up in a couple of weeks so that should help too!:shades:

Thanks again - it is really great talking to people that have been through the same experience.

xx

Anxious-in-Canada
21-06-11, 12:23
Hi Lion King,

When I came off them over a year ago I was on 20mg, I did it exactly like Sue recommended, 5mg decrease every six weeks... I felt no ill effects.

Lion King
21-06-11, 21:34
Thanks AIC,

My wife has been saying the same, I am sticking it out on 20mg instead of my original intention to step down every 2 weeks by 10mgs. I am feeling pretty good at the minute but I still have to give myself a good kick up the backside when I can't be arsed which I think is pretty normal (if there is such a thing!).

BJ,

Enjoy your hols, kick back and really enjoy yourself! Keep posting!

Suzy-Sue,

Hope you are good? Your posts are a real support!

LK

suzy-sue
22-06-11, 12:12
Have a great holiday BJ ..it will help you relax and help you ..Should be perscribed on NHS IF you ask me ..:whistles:

Not been good Lion king ..but starting to pick up a bit now ..T/g..I really think the last part is the hardest and the trick is to not put a time limit on it and rush ..No cutting down until you feel absolutely well and stable ..We will get there in the end ,somethings just take time ..Glad to hear your doing well ..luv Sue x:hugs:

Lion King
22-06-11, 20:42
Hi Sue,

Just starting with twitchiness but trying not to focus on it too much, I guess this is further side effects to drop in dosage!

Sorry to hear you have not been good, I definitely think you are right to phase cit out over a longer time.........One requires much more patience!!!

Keep positive Sue, you seem in control!

LK x

Lion King
24-06-11, 22:48
Still on 20mg, not feeling too bad at all!

Keep the good times rolling :D

LK

Lion King
16-07-11, 01:47
Hi All,

Latest is: I'm now taking my dose every other day, the only SE I am getting is what I think is called brain zaps when I get stressed out plus a little bit of anxiety which I am coping fine with.

Anyway onwards and upwards just need distraction, the only problem I have is that work used to be my distraction although this was part of my stress, now my new job is not very challenging so I'm looking for other parts in my life where I can focus my attention!!

Ah well, just thoughts in my head!

LK

Lion King
17-07-11, 16:49
Feel really happy at the minute, the best I have felt for a long time!

Nothing to complain about apart from usual missis groaning but hey nothing can change that!

Hope to all!

Lion King
18-07-11, 18:37
Hangover + Enhanced Caffiene Drinks + Reduced Citalopram = One Stressed Lion King

I felt great this morning but crashed and burnt at about 2 'o' clock, I hope tomorrow is a better day!:D

Lion King
23-07-11, 08:13
Just had another massive drinking session and I ended the night feeling proper depressed and miserable. I know alcohol increases depression so I'm going to kick it into touch for at least a month along with caffiene and get citalopram out of my system and control my moods by starting with the gym, mountain biking and concentrating on spending quality time with my family.

One of my old anxiety issues is suffering from feeling inferior to people around me and putting myself into the background where I can't be seen or judged. I've took a job as a step down from management, I'm no longer in the limelight so this has allowed me to reduce the stress/anxiety where it all started. The only thing I found about my old job is that it boosted my self-esteem and self worth, I used this as self assurance that I was doing well but now I don't do this I am looking for replacement for this as I'm not the best at breeding confidence in myself but I react to compliments instead, I think it could be confidence that is the big issue and I need to find this in myself and self generate, I think I need to set mini goals and targets to give me direction and distraction from self loathing.

I'm come this far in my battle but I'm not going to give up even if it is going back to basics with my CBT techniques, I will conquer and succeed!

LK

Lion King
24-07-11, 20:00
May have to go back up on dose, feel really angry, agitated and stressed to the hilt. Last couple of weeks I've blown my fuse and become agressive, this isn't me at all but it affects everyone around me. I don't know if this is with trying to come of dose too quickly or what but its really worrying me!

Lion King
29-07-11, 18:44
Back on 40mg, sad times! :unsure:

Lion King
02-08-11, 17:30
Settled back down on 40mg quite quickly so going to stick this out until next year when I am settled in my job and family life is running smoother!

Calm, Cool & Collective is the way!

suzy-sue
02-08-11, 17:40
So pleased you are now feeling better LionKing ..Seems it wasnt the right time to come off .You tried and theres no point in trying to manage feeling like you were ..Whatever gets you through the day :winks:..Do hope things improve for you generally ,at least you can cope better on the Cit ,Thats the main thing ..Ive stopped reducing anymore as Im a bit up and down at the moment .Im going to see how I am when I get back from my holiday next month .If no improvement im going to up slightly .Probably just the Stress of life lol but we will see .Take care luv Sue xx

waterfall
02-08-11, 19:11
Hi Lion King, Like yourself I am approaching 2yrs on Citalopram 40mg at my highest dosage....started to wean myself off a few months ago....my GP advised when you get to 20mg or even 10mg eventually that I should take it 2 days and then leave it for a day - then 1 day take it and leave it for 2 days.....etc, etc. I found this ok in the beginning but then started to feel old 'black dog' feelings creeping in again. Now i am currently on 5HTP instead of Cit - this is week 3 and to be honest i have found it helps??? [having said that these last 3 days have been a bit 'strange' for want of a better word!!] Feel a bit spaced out/numb and am worried whether this is merely side effects of Cit withdrawal taking effect or.......:shrug: