PDA

View Full Version : Genetically high risk of cancer - how to cope?

happycamper
25-05-11, 11:30
Hi Guys,

I've recently found out through cancer genetics that a parent of mine has a very high possibility of having the HNPCC gene (Lynch Syndrome)...this results in a 50/50 chance it's passed down to me and I've to start having regular screening, mainly colonoscopies I think, asap, along with discussion about the high risks of uterus and ovarian cancer, along with others.

This has come as a huge blow after 18 months of waiting on the testing, and if I was on top of any anxiety I had, well I'm certainly not now.

Just wondering if anyone is in a similar position with regards to being at high risk of cancer and how they deal with the anxiety that comes along with it....?

valleybear
25-05-11, 17:28
Sorry to hear that you have had results which worry you and increase your anxiety...it can't be easy. I have relations who have had a very high genetic risk of breast and uterus cancer but who are now in their 40's and 50's with no sign of either disease. Also, you will have regular, thorough tests which will even further reduce any risk. I don't make light of your worries, and hope you will get all the reassurance and help that you need.X

happycamper
27-05-11, 10:21
Thanks for your reply valleybear.

I've got 2 heads on me (not quite literally!), that are battling to make me be behold to a life of worry and anxiety and being paranoid about every single ache and feeling just waiting for the big ca to come....
The other head tells me that there only a 50% chance I could have inherited it unless it gets confirmed following a lengthy test, I can't ruin my life worrying about something I can do nothing about and I'll be lucky enough to be screened at least for bowel cancer.

Right now I'm trying to come to terms with the news, I just really hope I can be sensible and throw away that worrying head!

Has anyone else on here had anything like this where they have to accept they are at high risk of cancer...?