PDA

View Full Version : Unable to sit still?

Butterfly22
25-05-11, 11:44
Sometimes I find it really hard to sit still and often find myself just pacing the floor instead of sitting down, is this part of anxiety?

blueangel
25-05-11, 15:40
Yes, absolutely. When we're anxious our bodies get flooded with adrenaline, which is the substance that is sometimes called the "fight of flight" hormone. It's really primitive reaction as it used to do things like give us the ability to hunt our food or run away from sabre-tooth tigers. :)

We still need this reaction though, as otherwise we'd all be dead as we wouldn't react to real danger, like getting out of the way of a speeding car. However, the same physical reaction happens to us when we're anxious, but there often isn't anything real to run away from, so it makes us feel very unwell, particularly if it goes on for a long time.

valleybear
25-05-11, 17:09
Oh yes Butterfly...When I am ultra anxious and panicing about something (or nothing!) I can't sit still at all. I have only a little bungalow but I pace through all the rooms..... my little dog wonders what is the matter in his little world so I make myself stop and cuddle him instead!! X

Butterfly22
25-05-11, 17:59
Thank you both for your replies :hugs: to you xx

annette1
25-05-11, 18:55
Yes Butterfly, really its the first thing you notice with anxiety, most people say 'if i stop i'll have too much thinking time' I know i did! But, running on anxiety can lead to stress burn out so when you can try to relax. Is there somewhere you like to be or like doing, reading , swimming, walking? I found going to a spa really helpful.
Other ways to relax could be meditation, massage, alternative therapies, a walk on a beach or through the park.
Don't expect instant results, it takes time to change the habit of always being on the go.

xhyperyogix
25-05-11, 20:16
Yep! I def get it (Why I'm 'Hyper'Yogi).

In my experience, like Annette says, it can lead to burn out - one thing I do over and over again! I tend to try to do something relaxing like yoga, meditation, massage etc, or failing that, burn off the extra adrenaline via running full-pelt, or dancing to some really good music til you are exhausted! That is only if the realxing doesn't help though!

Hope this helps,

xx

Butterfly22
26-05-11, 08:28
Hiya! some good tips there thank you! the thing is, when I try to relax I just seem to get right back up again and on the go. Yep I agree it can lead to burn out, in fact thats the way I feel at the moment completely exhausted. I will try some of the things you both mention, I have some meditation cd's so will try that first x