PDA

View Full Version : Scared of going on a ferry and I live on an island, please help.

bonbon1527
25-05-11, 16:28
Okay I have just joined this site because my anxiety levels have rising recently. The reason why is because I have to make a ferry trip. I live on an island but for the past few months I have been unable to sail. The length of time from the last sailing has increased my anxiety levels about travelling. I take regular panic attacks, usually in supermarkets or on the ferry. What makes things worse is the weather forecast which says it will be around 30mph winds. The direction the wind is coming from is the worst direction in relation to our trip and I know there will be rocking ( that always sends me into panic mode)

I have been going to CBT which is helping and I do have medication, however it is mild medication. This trip is kind of nessessary as I need to get items that can't be bought on the island as well as my realization of...the longer I leave it the worse it will get.

Please, if anyone can give me some words of wisdom of how to deal with this, I would be grateful.

Cheers, Bonbon

KayleighJane
25-05-11, 16:41
hi there, i work on a ferry and i promise all will be ok, i have to deal with people alot who are scared of ferry travel. 30mph winds arent too high seeing as we sail in 100mph+ most of the time but if you do not like the rocking motion then sit in the middle of the ferry rather than front as this is where you feel the movement most. also drink plenty of water and ginger is also good for sea sickness.

hope this helps a little.

Kayleigh x

valleybear
25-05-11, 16:46
Welcome Bonbon...Glad you have found this site and you will get a great deal of support and help here. Your anxiety about the ferry is similar to many people on here........boats, planes. trains ...they are all there and if you look up past posts about this you will, I'm sure get a lot of ideas and help. In my case it was flying, not the fear of crashing, but just of being in an enclosed space. I have managed to overcome it somewhat...I can now do it but I do not like it!!! Company, distraction and a mild medication has helped a lot and once I did it once (after years of not being able to) I was a bit better the next time. Hope you find some helpful hints and positive stories. X