PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to NMP- citalopram- help!

Sootem
27-05-11, 09:05
Hi everyone,

Have just discovered this forum and it's very comforting to know that I am not the only one suffering from anxiety.

I am 55 and this is the third time in my life I have suffered from debilitating anxiety. The first time was after the birth of my daughter 33 years ago - post natal depression. The second time was after a major operation - chronic panic attacks which eventually was sorted with meds and meditation!
Once again anxiety hit me like a train hitting a brick wall this week - thought I was having a stroke - dizziness, felt as if I had drunk a barrell of beer so disoriented was I, blurred vision etc etc - and then panic.
Straight down to the docs who reassured me it was anxiety which of course logically I knew because I had been having black thoughts for weeks and couldn't understand where my love of life had gone.

Have been prescribed citalopram - this is my third day. 10mg for 5 days and then 20 mgs. I am having side effects - dryish mouth, feeling rather strange - not exactly dizzy but rather strange. Has anyone else felt this way on this med. I know I have to persevere because in the past the meds had awful side effects for the first few days before kicking in.

Can anyone reassure me.

Thank you
Susan

diane07
27-05-11, 09:06
Hi Sootem

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

bexy1970
27-05-11, 09:38
hi susan,
the side effects are pretty horrid for bout a week or so,i did 10mg then 15,then 20,now on 30mg,but pleeeeese stick with them!! theyre a fantastic med!!life changing for me!!! if you want ne advice etc look at the surviving citalopram post,long but good,or just pm me if your struggling!!
becca xx

Sootem
27-05-11, 10:18
Hi Becca

My doctor says to up them to 20mg after 5 days but I am reluctant to make that jump. Maybe up to 15mg and then 20mg as you did would be better.
Thank you so much for your support - will just have to grin and bear it for a week or so.

Susan

happycamper
27-05-11, 10:26
Hi Susan,

The side effects you describe are completely normal. I increased citalopram slowly from being on 10mg for 2 or 3 weeks, then a few days of 15mg and up to 20mg. Getting adapted to the 10mg was the most difficult, after that the increases seemed easier.

Good luck and welcome to NMP!

Crunchiehair
28-05-11, 07:21
Hi Susan

I'm new here too, although not new to the whole anxiety/panic/depression thing. I'm 54 next week.

I've been on Citalopram for several years and mostly they sort me out, currently on 40mg. (I'm having what I call a freak-out at the moment though!)

I know they make you feel funny to begin with but the most odd feelings I get are if I forget a dose - buzzy head and extremely vivid dreams.

I hope you feel better soon.

Vanilla Sky
28-05-11, 18:30
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:
Paige x

scottboy
29-05-11, 15:26
Please stick with the cit,i had bad side effects for 6wks and felt like ditching them.Iam now on my 4th month and find them brill even though things in my personel life are bad i feel there helping me through hope you start to feel better soon:) rgds Scott.

annette1
29-05-11, 15:37
Hi Susan
It would seem you, chrunchie & I are all in the same boat! i'm 55 next month & have been taking Citalopram for 21/2 yrs. I started on 20mg & totally agree with you that its best to build the dose up gradually. The side effects will pass, I found drinking plenty of water was a great help.

Welcome to NMP you are sure to find a lot of support & advice here.
Take care xx