PDA

View Full Version : Any experience of combining venlafaxine and mirtzapine?

biba
27-05-11, 10:40
Hello

I'm new to this forum, or any on-line forum in fact. I've been impressed with the support available here.

I'm 40 and have struggled with anxiety for most of my adult life (and probably before). I've been taking venlafaxine for the past 12 or 13 years and despite some quite severe episodes of more disbaling anxiety and depression have managed to remain fairly stable.

I've done all sorts of therapy to try and tackle the issue but anxiety related to sleep (being able to fall asleep) has continued to prey on me intermittently.

I recently asked my GP to prescribe a small amount of mirtazapine (7.5mg) on top of my usual 75mg venlafaxine, as this is a combination that has worked for me in the past. I've been taking it for about five and a half weeks and hoped it would be properly settled into my system. It has helped me sleep but now seems to be causing acute feelings of anxiety during the day that do not seem to be abating. I know this is considered a powerful combination of meds and I'm worried it's not going to pass.

I'm sorry to launch into a big exposition about medication in my first post but what I'm feeling at the moment is really horrible but I do not feel confident to come off because of my sleep anxiety! Feel trapped.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Biba :unsure:

deepreason
27-05-11, 13:05
I was on 300mg of venlafaxine and 30 mg of mirtazapine for a couple of years and found it very powerful like you say. In the end I had to come off it because it was just too overstimulating. I felt like I had 3 pints of adrenaline in my system at all times.

One thing I found helped was adding a mood stabiliser, you could ask your dr about that. I used sodium valproate 1200mg at night. The othr option would be to drop the mirtazapine if you are getting enough anti depressant effect from the venlafaxine. Then just use a sleep aid like zolpidem or something.

biba
27-05-11, 13:15
Thanks deepreason - great username by the way. I hope things are going OK for you.

Biba

Splat*
11-07-11, 11:51
Hey sorry I've come into this late but I was the same as above-- 300mg venlafaxine and 30mg mirtazapine. In the end it was far too much and made me worse, so i've dropped the mirtazapine and much happier now. I also take pregabalin, olanzapine and lorazepam.

Davevanza
23-09-11, 04:29
Hello

I'm new to this forum, or any on-line forum in fact. I've been impressed with the support available here.

I'm 40 and have struggled with anxiety for most of my adult life (and probably before). I've been taking venlafaxine for the past 12 or 13 years and despite some quite severe episodes of more disbaling anxiety and depression have managed to remain fairly stable.

I've done all sorts of therapy to try and tackle the issue but anxiety related to sleep (being able to fall asleep) has continued to prey on me intermittently.

I recently asked my GP to prescribe a small amount of mirtazapine (7.5mg) on top of my usual 75mg venlafaxine, as this is a combination that has worked for me in the past. I've been taking it for about five and a half weeks and hoped it would be properly settled into my system. It has helped me sleep but now seems to be causing acute feelings of anxiety during the day that do not seem to be abating. I know this is considered a powerful combination of meds and I'm worried it's not going to pass.

I'm sorry to launch into a big exposition about medication in my first post but what I'm feeling at the moment is really horrible but I do not feel confident to come off because of my sleep anxiety! Feel trapped.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Biba :unsure:

Hi

I used to be on Efexor XR 150mg after breakfast and 150mg around 2pm.

And Mirtazapine 90mg at night.

So far, when I was taking it, so good. ( Except hairloss)

My Pdoc explained to me, Mirtazapine actually counteracts the side effects of Efexor.
As Mirtazapine blocks the Serotonin subtype 2 and 3.

Well, everyone reacts differently even to the same medication, best advice is to get from your doctor.

Kind regards,
Davevanza