PDA

View Full Version : My experiences^^

Vixxy
27-05-11, 15:07
Hello everyone! I just wanted to share a little bit of happiness with you all. This time last year I was a wreck, both physically and mentally. Looking back now it feels like it was a lifetime ago.
Thanks to the support I received on these forums, my family and doctors I began to see there was a life outside the constant panic and began to move on with my life.

I've since found so many hobbies and interests that I always put on the back burner to fully concentrate on the anxiety. Maybe you know how it is, you wake up and sit there obsessing about it rather than doing something you might enjoy!:whistles:. It's really not easy, and to begin with it might not be that much fun. Fighting wave after wave of anxiety, whilst you try your hardest to focus on the book you're reading isn't ideal, but it's a start.
If you can find just one thing to do that makes you happy, even if its just a smidgen of happiness then take it. Run to it, keep doing it! From the reading (and my experiences) I've done it seems that using the artistic side of your brain really helps to relax you and draw you away from the bit that loves a good panic.

You're probably thinking to yourself, "well that's all well and good, but I've got no artistic skills". It doesn't matter! There are so many art based hobbies and crafts out there that you're bound to run into one that does the trick! A few examples for you, Cake decorating(this is my current passion**), card making (make little hand made cards for friends to say thanks for putting up with you:p), scrapbooking (brilliant to remember all the nice things you've experienced), candle making (just because you can never have too many candles! They also make excellent gifts), Knitting (you can watch TV whilst you do it, which in my book is win win!), cross stitch (a lot of fun and you get to follow a pre designed pattern, so you don't have to worry about designing it first), mosaics (This is very good for stress relief, particularly the bit where you can smash up a few plates on the pretence you'll bne making something pretty for the garden :p) The list really is endless :D

I am hoping that someone gets some benefit from this, because this has been a big help in my road to recovery.

Just remember everyone, that you can do it. It's within you to beat this and move on. :bighug1:

** you can take a look at my cakes here (http://www.facebook.com/basingstokecakequeen)

shadowgirl
27-05-11, 16:12
Hi Vixxy, cake baking is my therapy too. I find it comforts and relaxes me. I recommend to everyone!

Vixxy
27-05-11, 21:35
Ahh cool, good to hear of another person that's into it :D

JT69
28-05-11, 12:26
Hi Vixxy,

Lovely positive post which give hope and help to others. So glad you have come through...may your sucess continue...onwards and upwards....

Jo.xx

mtatum4496
28-05-11, 15:24
What a wonderful post! And you are so right - reclaiming those things that one used to love doing can go a long way toward helping in the healing. As I continue my journey, my interest in things that once brought me a lot of joy are beginning to become important again, which in turn (I think) is helping in the healing.

And if anyone wants to bake me a cake as part of your healing process, I wouldn't mind a bit :D

Hazel B
28-05-11, 15:38
Thanks for the positive post! It's great to read that people get better and then give advice and encouragement.

I find baking cakes, exercise, reading and having rock discos in my bedroom help!:winks:

Keep on doing well!

linjoy
28-05-11, 17:13
Cakes are brill ! love the teddy bears

Vixxy
28-05-11, 18:52
Thanks guys. :)