PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed quickly pretty please

Cell block H fan
27-05-11, 23:23
Hi
Can anyone tell me if it's ok to cook fresh chicken 2 hours past the time? I opened fresh quick cook chicken breasts from Sainsburys yesterday at 5pm & only used 2 out the 4, it says once opened use within 24 hours. Kept in fridge obviously. But I didn't cook the last couple of bits until 7pm tonight.
How risky is it 26 hours?
Son & daughter had them earlier, daughter is fine but son says he has slight tummy pains. Maybe not connected? Hope not anyway!
I haven't mentioned the chicken to him. He has a first date tomorrow so I hope he's not ill!!

nomorepanic
27-05-11, 23:25
I would say it is absolutely fine to be honest

Cell block H fan
27-05-11, 23:27
Do you think?
I over cooked it if anything too, like I do everything. Paranoia about food poisoning in the past lol. Not so bad these days, I will at least eat in restaurants now, certain things anyway.
Just got concerned when he said about 'indigestion' he called it. Maybe just nervous about the date.

diane07
27-05-11, 23:27
As long as the chicken was kept in the fridge it will be fine.

Cell block H fan
27-05-11, 23:29
Thank you, has put my mind at rest. I was thinking the 24 hours they say is being on the safe side? Maybe it would still be ok a day & half. I did buy some normal chicken breasts from Tesco the other week & those say to use immediately, so not sure what the difference was there. xxx

somethingwitty
28-05-11, 06:22
Unless food fails the sniff test (as did my £7 steak from Tesco the other night... d'oh!) food is fine past its sell by date. My Aunt worked for 20 odd years for Morrisons and lived off of food 4 days past its sell by date! Apparently, that is there more for a legal disclaimer than an actual date.

Cell block H fan
28-05-11, 19:47
Unless food fails the sniff test (as did my £7 steak from Tesco the other night... d'oh!) food is fine past its sell by date. My Aunt worked for 20 odd years for Morrisons and lived off of food 4 days past its sell by date! Apparently, that is there more for a legal disclaimer than an actual date.

Well that is handy to know thank you for that. All was fine, he went off to his date this morning & had a great time. 2 & a half hours sleep later I went to work at 5 this morning, & now remember how crazy this health anxiety really is! Even when it's not worrying about your own self. x

Catalyst
28-05-11, 23:02
Crikey! I've always been a firm believer in use by dates. Cinderella food (that 'goes off at midnight'!) But, I have to say that I always use half the chicken breasts in a pack and keep the other half in the fridge for up to 48 hours! After that I'd chuck them, but I never read the packet instructions saying 24 hours! Oh dear! Well, at least i've never had a problem so far, but I suspect I'll be revising my timescales based on this! :os