PDA

View Full Version : How do I tell the difference .......

lilac kitten
29-03-04, 21:35
between a panic attack and being really unwell. As most of you know I've had one thing after another this year, then last weeks thing was keeping thinking I was going to be sick all the time with a mucousy lump in my throat. But as usual I put everything down to panic. I even found getting my son to and from school a major challenge.

To cut a long story short on Friday I had a really bad day and kept telling myself all this dizzyness, lightheadedness nausia, was all panic. Then in the afternoon I had to phone for my mother in law to get my son from school. I fell a fool, until I threw up that is. We ended up having to phone the doctor as both myself and my baby son were really sick and I ached from head to foot and felt rotten.

Then feeling a little better and a little braver on Sunday I ventured to Tesco, and really thought I was going to faint - was this panic? Well I went back today and I was fine and chirpy.

I've had sinusitis (still have and am on antibiotics) and the doctor diagnosed both my son and myself with gastric flu. The sinus infection would explain the dizziness. But how on earth do you tell the difference between being genuinely unwell and panic - all the symptoms seem so similar.

I decided to take a few days off work and chill out. The ironing can wait as well.

My doctor says I do need the citalopram and must start them at easter when I'm not working and hopefully virus free, so we can see any really bad side effects if any.

I've always worried about being sick in public or fainting when driving, but I am determined to get through all this as I've said before. I don't know if others of you feel the same but the outside world is so hostile and that makes me worry about the above. My son was sick once in Tesco and rather than being helpful or turning the other cheek, people felt the need to critisise that I'd bought him out in the first place, only the staff in the shop offered to help me. And the same happened to me once at a rock concert. I drove all the way there and felt rotten and ran into the bushes and threw up. We went to the medical tent and everyone assumed I'd been drinking or ate a funny burger. But I hadn't, and those around me kept saying 'you better not be sick in front of me'. I know its not nice but then you become paranoid everyone is the same and worry about it.

Sorry to be such a winge, I'm hoping my feelings and thoughts may be understood by people here who maybe know of how to cope better. I have a large handbag so I can go everywhere with a plastic bag and a bottle of water and some pepto bismol. And I think as a parent you feel you have to carry on regardless when all you want to do is shut the door and go to bed so every ailment you say is nothing.

I've written War and Peace here - thats if anyone is still reading this!!

Better go, I think an early night in order - in fact a couple may be of need right now.

Take care everybody,

Ruth
x

diana
29-03-04, 21:56
Oh!!!! dear Ruth,

You really are having quite a time are`nt you?

I would say that your recent feelings were honestly a bug, but you are correct in stating that the symptoms are quite often the same.

I think the only way to be able to tell if it is one or the other is to wait a couple of days when you start feeling ill, and if nothing else occurs you can pretty much put it down to anxiety/panic.

On the other hand if something else "unusual" occurs like the vomitting for example you will know that you are definitely not well.

I agree that when we have children we kind of disregard our own feelings of illness to be able to keep coping with our daily demands.

It is most of the time very hard to decide rather we are just anxious/panicy or genuinely ill.

The trials and tribulations of being a mum ey? :)

I also agree that people and the outside world can be very hostile and not very friendly most of the time.

Good that you have taken a few days off of work to regain your strength.

I believe you are right in taking in an early night for a few days. :)

I do hope you and your son are feeling a bit better now.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

Meg
29-03-04, 22:40
Dear Ruth,

Well done.

Most anxious people would panic first about the symptoms and what it could possibly be and only query anxiety later when the illness didn't progress..

You've done really well in having such a great way of managing to ' put it down ' to anxiety first and then discover you've got a bug when it become apparant.

All illness will manifest itself well enough so you will know soon enough. Often with bugs and viruses all the signs are very nondescript for the first 2 days anyway.

Meg

stimpy
30-03-04, 01:19
Gastric flu, upset tummy and the cold are all doing the rounds at the moment.

Funny how Panic symptoms and sick symptoms are almost the same.
I usually think to myself okay if it goes away after a lie down and some deep breaths - it's panic. If I still feel dog rough and throwing up everywhere after 12 hours then it is somethingelse and if it doesn't settle down I will ask the doctor for advice.

Well done Ruth on coping so well.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric