PDA

View Full Version : A cautionary tale for all you meds phobes!

shiv
20-04-06, 18:11
You know who you are! Anyone phobic of meds is familiar with the following:

a) Going to the doctor and dreading being prescribed new meds
b) Racing home after picking up your prescription and reading in detail all side-effects of the drug
c) Googling the drug- as if reading the leaflet 12 times wasn't enough!
d) If and when taking the meds feeling every side-effect going- particularly tightening in throat, dizziness and headache.
d) Throwing the rest of fore-mentioned drug in the bin and deciding never to touch pharmaceuticals again!

Well folks that was me until easter Monday when I got the worst bout of gastritis I've ever had in my life (and I get it a lot thanks to our old pal anxiety!). I saw the emegency doctor in the morning who prescribed me losec (omeprazole) whaich I've been prescribed before and binned on reading the leaflet.

Well I took them- I was in so much pain. Unfortunately too little too late. I should have took them long term (ie 3-6 months) every other time I had gastritis. I also should have had an endoscopy (camera down the throat thingy) years ago but didn't go as I found out I'd have to be sedated and I don't even like sedation (unless I'm flying!).

Anyway by that night I was in a and e in CRIPPLING pain. Now I've given birth to 3 8 pound plus babies (I'm 5 feet and 7 stone) and this pain was close if not as bad as those labours! They took me straight in-I was as pale as anything and bent over double in pain. I had tests for gallstones - negative. It was severe gastritis so they sent me home with codeine ( side effects include drowsiness eeuurgh!) and yep I took them straight away. My boyfriend was shocked. He said "My God, you ARE in a bad way- I've never seen you take tablets like THAT before!"

Now since that night I've googled losec and read the leaflet with the codeine but know I did the right thing taking them. I'm going to be on losec for the foreseeable future at least so i'll have to get used to it.

But do you know what- I've been thinking rationally about this the last couple of days. All medication- paracetemol included have a danger of severe side effcts. They're just very rare that's all.

The thing is, far worse things will probably happen to us if we don't take important medication. So there's my lesson to you all and believe you me- I ain't ever going through that pain again unless there's a baby at the end of it!!

Shiv x

nomorepanic
20-04-06, 18:31
Shiv

I take Losec too! In fact I had to have one at 3am this morning as I was in so much pain with this acid reflux thing that I guess you get too.

I know how painful gastritus is as I had it before and was crying with the pain.

Losec are great but do make me slightly dizzy but I took the day off today to rest and let them work and now I feel much better already.

Hope you feel better soon as well.

Nicola

ashley
20-04-06, 22:40
Oh shiv man i feel so sorry for you , what a rough time you had of it over easter .. thats awful..like you really needed that babe..
I have a masif phobia of tablets it took me 4 months to actually take my anti-d i tell ya.. and diazipan i wish i could take, but i get scared that it will slow my heart rate down, which is what i get at times.. what doyou do ..its a friggin nightmare love.. i hope you are feelig better.. what a rough one you had..sorry hunni.

ashley xxx

shiv
21-04-06, 16:22
God, I didn't realise this illness was so common. I'm on 40mg at the mo and will cut down to 10mg for the foreseeable future and gues what; not ONE side effect. I could have nipped this in the bud years ago. Makes me so angry with myself.

Of course now I'm worried about stomach cancer because the symptoms are similar to gastritis and losec apparently alleviates the symptoms of stomach cancer too for a while. AAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!
So needless to say I WILL definitely have the endoscopy when the appointment comes!!!!

Space cadet, has your pain been as unbearable as mine was? Also my stomach is always quite bloated and it feels very uncomfortable when someone hugs me tight or pushes on the top of my stomach. Sometimes I can even see it moving around like I'm pregnant!! Gas i guess!

Shiv x

feege
21-04-06, 17:46
Boy do I fit in this group!!!

I'm on 20mg of omeprazole but my doctor said it would only probably need to be for a month or so.... Lucy did your gp say for ever????? I have the hiatus hernia and duodenitis but mine didn't?

I am praying, really praying that I will be glad I have taken my 5mg of escitalopram in the very near future, right now I am frightened to death!!!

Can't bring myself to take the valium though - maybe if I get more anxious later.

I didn't realise you could halve them at first until after I'd taken it - I really wish I'd done that.

The only good thing is I have been feeling so awful I can't imagine feeling much worse anyway!!

Hope you guys are ok!

Fee xxxxxx
www.like2like.com

Why live life anticipating the bad things when you could be anticipating the good?
Good and bad things WILL happen!

joannaokeefe
24-04-06, 13:28
Hi all, I am a paramedic of 10 yrs and i have nausea and vomiting every time i eat. so, to stop my nausea i stopped eating. i nearly became anorexic and i have lost so much weight i look ill. I tried citalopram 40mg dose which my useless gp gave me. i couldn't get out of bed for three days as i was vomiting and semi concious! now i have a big phobia of meds. i still work loads and help many patient sufferers, but there is no cure for me as nausea is the side effects from tablets which makes me more anorexic. just talking and sharing experiences is helping me on this website - i joined yesterday. thanks. jo x

darkangel
24-04-06, 14:16
hi there
when i read the first part of your message about what we do before taking our meds it made me laugh - that is exactly what I do too.
Anyway I get chronic indigestion and tend to get stomach ulcers so I take Zoton (lansoprazole). Makes pain go away but gives me terrible diarreoah (cant spell it) i go on hols on sunday and its the last thing i need !!!
I hope you are much better now - it must be a common effect of anxiety .

........life is for living not just for surviving

julieG
26-11-13, 21:52
Anyone still reading this thread? I could do with some help here. Thanks x

nomorepanic
26-11-13, 22:51
What's up Julie?

julieG
27-11-13, 08:13
Hi.

I was diagnosed with gastritis last august. It came back this august and at the moment is really bad. I was prescribed omeprazole but haven't taken in (med phobia!). I decided to take it so looked up side effects which say gastritis has the same symptoms of stomach cancer...... Now I'm convinced this is what I have. When I look at other peoples symptoms they mention pain which I don't have, however the nausea is terrible. I'm so frightened and can't get the thought of cancer out of my head. It's driving me insane....

Thank you x

julieG
29-11-13, 15:28
Anybody ....... X

nomorepanic
29-11-13, 15:40
Did you try the Omeprazole?

julieG
29-11-13, 15:51
The doc told me to take gaviscon first which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. It comes and goes and has me scared. X

nomorepanic
29-11-13, 19:15
I would try the omeprazole as it is excellent for treating such problems