PDA

View Full Version : Anxious and frightened

katamaridamacy
29-05-11, 15:17
Hi All,

I have suffered from panic and anxiety (social and health) for about 10 years. I have finally started sessions of CBT to combat it, but tomorrow I am going to be one of the 80,000 people making the trip to Wembley for the Championship play-off final... and to put it mildy, I am bricking it.

I am feeling extremely tense today, and already catastrophising and playing every part of the day through my head, and how terrible it will be... from being stuck in the car all the way there, to the hustle and bustle of London, to the stadium and game itself, and the journey home. 99% of the anxious me is desperate to pull out and not go, but I know I have to face these kinds of things if I am going to make any progress in beating my anxiety.

None of the friends I am going with really understand how I will be feeling, so that makes it tougher for me.

Can anyone offer some words of advice or encouragement? With the day getting closer, I am becoming more and more petrified. :(

Thanks in advance.

SG
29-05-11, 15:28
I suffer from these kind of fears and anxities too, whenever I'm going to to something out of the ordinary. I find that, even if it's something I really want to do and really should be looking forward to, my pleasure in it is ruined by constant anxiety. I just always try to remind myself that I've felt this way a hundred times before, and it never turns out to be as bad as I'd imagined. A recent experience is going to a concert. I had butterflies in my stomach for weeks leading up, worrying about being in a car crash on the drive there, or worrying about how crowded the place would be, how it'd be stuffy and hot and I wouldn't be able to breathe. Even worrying that I'd get ill and have to leave halfway through. I also find myself always wanting to say "no" and pull out of these things, but I made myself go. And I was glad that i did because when I was actually there, I had a great time and never wanted the night to end. Then the next day, I felt so annoyed with myself for being worried about it and ruining the excitement leading up to it. If I'd know how much I was going to enjoy the day, I would have been so excited.

I'm afraid I don't know what the answer is. It's so frustrating and I really hate that part of my mind sometimes. I just hope that you feel a little better knowing that it's common and other people know exactly how you feel. I hope that when you are actually there, the anxiety will just melt away and you'll be able to enjoy the experience.

Laneybc
29-05-11, 17:30
I was pretty stressed about the trip we just made to go and see Wicked in the "big city". I decided to try and just deal with it moment by moment. I made sure we allowed lots of time to find parking and get to the theatre and find our seats, go to the bathroom, etc. I had the added challenge of being in a wheelchair. Overall it went very well and I was able to relax and enjoy the show. Try not to think ahead and just live in the moment you are in. I really hope you can enjoy your outing.

joans60
29-05-11, 17:37
Hi there I feel for you
Have you got any relaxation tapes that you can take in the car with you and you can play them and that might clam you down
Also have you got any rescue remedy they say that it is very good and you can use it as many times as you want.
Also what team is it you support
Because the winner will be playing us next year I support wolverhampton wanderers.
Go and enjoy the day you will do it and let us know how you get on.

Joan