PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone give me advice on citalopram please.

lisha371
29-05-11, 17:55
My doctor prescribed this to me last tuesday, first couple of days I felt nausea, they I felt quite relaxed for a bit, I started reading on the net about how they make you gain weight and that you can't cry, started getting anxious about it, so I missed my pill yesterday, thought I would ask the doctor about wellbutin as I hear a side effect is weight loss. I just started retaking thought I would wait a month and see if I do gain weight, I not sure what to do, another thing that scare me is I hear people have a hard time withdrawing, can some one give me advice please or tell me something positive about this drug.. I feel guilty as well about being depressed and anxious.

annette1
29-05-11, 18:42
Hi nisha
Living with depression & anxiety is tough, medication does make it easier though, I've been taking Citalopram for 2yrs. Yes, it does cause weight gain in some people but its little price to pay for the relief it brings.
It will take around 4 weeks to begin to work and there will be some side effects. Withdrawing from Cit should be in consultation with your gp as it needs to be a gradual decrease to avoid side effects.

happycamper
30-05-11, 10:56
Hi,
I was so glad I started citalopram a year ago, despite gaining some weight...it's a bit of a nuisance, but for the benefits I've gained from the meds, it is definitely worth it. Only I am aware of my weight gain though, many people say I look a lot better for it - or maybe they see I look happier possibly....
The inability to cry you mentioned, well if you ask me it's not something I have missed! But everyone is individual, I certainly have no regrets whatsoever, in an ideal world I don't want to be on them of course, but rather that than have the awful anxiety I was experiencing before starting them.
Good luck.x

Magic
30-05-11, 11:24
Hello Lisha,
Don't let the side effects put you off taking cit.

I have been taking them for 18months 10mg one a day.

I do still cry on occasions. My weight is still the same although I seem to eat more.My clothes still fit. But I do a bit of walking to have fresh air and it does help ---------that is if you can leave the house.
I don't think starting and stopping will help.Takes a while to get into your system

If you can take take them for a while and you don't think they are suiting you ,then I would go back to your Gp
Good Luck. We all need it
All the best

Tero
30-05-11, 12:56
No weight gain first 4 months. Some tiredness evenings. Sleep is good.

keta
21-06-11, 13:11
Hi
I have never gained any weight on Citalopram and been on and off it for past 4 years longest time was 18 months. A felt really tired for the first few months but that's about it, don't be scared of it if you think after first couple of months that you have some bad side effects go and speak to your GP. Good luck