PDA

View Full Version : How to tell family and friends you have anxiety?

hanna090
29-05-11, 22:34
:)Hey, I’ve had anxiety for a while now and I am finding it very difficult to open up about it. Just wondering if anyone has any advice or stories that they could share? It would be much appreciated!

notfeelingconfident
29-05-11, 23:30
Hi, haha my family and friends are sick of me talking about it! Generally people are very understanding to this type of thing and won't mock you! I recently did group therapy and I was really worried beforehand. Turned out it wasn't such a big deal and they had similar stories to tell.

But saying this, some people just don't get it and I'd say, don't worry about them, try and find/stick with friends who are genuinely sympathetic.

Actually, recently I re-mentioned to a mate about my social anxiety. He replied with 'I thought you got over that'! Haha. I thought 'when did I say I was over it'? He said it in a slightly critical tone as well, maybe I irritated him. Me and my lovely friends!:)

Tero
30-05-11, 02:17
Well, you just tell them. It is not like it is the boss.

I just joke about "forgot my meds". They know I do not like to drive and they no longer need my help much there. Kids have drivers licenses.

happycamper
30-05-11, 11:07
It can be a difficult thing to broach with anyone....I have told only a handful of trusted friends/family, they all seemed quite surprised as it is something I've always internalised and been lucky enough to get on with life as normal, but they were supportive and understanding.
I've told the people I want to and left it at that. My colleagues at work etc have no idea and I don't want them to know either as I don't want my ability to do my job to be judged.
Don't know if everyone thinks I'm all better now though because no-one asks....maybe they just presume it's like taking a course of antibiotics and at the end you're fixed...that's not the case is it!

Martin Burridge
12-06-11, 20:41
I have a hand out on how to explain panic disorder to people who don't understand if that is of any use. If you want it send me a PM and I will work out a way of getting it to you.

MardyBum
13-06-11, 09:06
My family were amazing with it last time, althou I dont think my Dad believed in anything like this till he seen the state of me in mid panic one day. My OH, who I wasnt with last time I was poorly with panic doesnt believe in mental health issues as such so im finding it very hard to explain to him whats going on... ive left pages open on here for him to read but dont know if he gets it as such. its hard to explain "im scared to leave the house" as when he asks why all I can say is "im scared im going to pass out in public" as to a none sufferer who can think logically and without emotion the chances of that happening etc they dont see a problem x