PDA

View Full Version : Stress, Anxiety and chronic muscle tension.

Taffy
30-05-11, 14:13
Has anyone suffered painful / chronic muscle tension in there shoulders and chest as a result of stress and anxiety?...Specifically on just one side of the body?

I know its common to have muscle pain due to tension but I have it on my right side only. Had it for just over a month now and its really painful in and around my right shoulder and radiating round to my chest. Obviously because of my HA I think I've got Lung C, Liver C and some other type of tumour growing away inside me!...but in my rational moments I can put it down to muscle tension.

I've seen a physio who has confirmed that my back muscles are very tense but after 2 sessions with him I'm no better. I'm gonna book myself in for a deep massage this week to see if that helps.

Anyone experienced this 'one sided' tension before?...Any advice, reassurance is welcomed!

MONKEE_MAGIK
30-05-11, 14:31
Hi Taffy,

I have chronic muscle pain which seems to only be painful on my left side.

I was convinced that I had a heart condition as the pain in my chest is terrible at times. I have had blood tests, x-rays, ecg's and all is fine so it must be muscular.

I would stick with the physio as this will take more than two sessions to sort out ( I used to be a physio assistant so I know how long it takes for the body to heal). Stick with and make sure you also keep up with the exercises you are given as they will help to improve you muscle aches. Massage will also help sp try and go regularly if you can.

What do you do for a job as this may be related to the aches only being on one side as I tend to move very differently oln the left to the right side.

Try not to stress out too much. (easier said than done I know!)

Monkee :D

Zee
30-05-11, 14:36
I have the tension mostly on my right side. Physio did identify a shoulder impingement though and very tense trapezius muscles.

Taffy
30-05-11, 21:06
Thanks for the replys...

I'm a firefighter so yes my job is physical but I can't really relate this pain to anything that I've done recently....although since being promoted last year I do sit at a PC a lot more than used too, so maybe it has something to do with my posture at the desk??

All I know is this pain is really getting me down and my HA is in overdrive about it. Its just hard to understand how this is muscular especially as its in my back and chest and all on the right side?!? :unsure:

MONKEE_MAGIK
30-05-11, 21:38
Hi Taffy,

From my experience I think it is inactivity that has more of an impact on muscular pain rather than activity. I think you are right that spending more time sat at a desk is probably the main reason you are having problems with your shoulder and chest.

I work at a desk all day and I am right handed so I lean to the left when using the computer. this pressure causes swelling of the cartillage in my sternum and ribs which causes chest pain.

Try not to worry too much. Like I said keep up with the physio and maybe try adjusting your position when sat at the desk and take regular breaks to stretch out the muscles.

Monkee :D