PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol and sertraline

toni282
30-05-11, 19:35
Hi just a quick question, are you allowed to drink alcohol while on sertraline? Thanks x

Tyke
30-05-11, 20:26
No. It can have very unpleasant effects if you do.

toni282
30-05-11, 20:47
Ok thank you, what kind of effects can it have?

Tyke
31-05-11, 03:51
I understand it interferes with the medication working properly and you can feel absolutely awful the following day (like a really bad hangover). Not done it myself though.

lourah1989
31-05-11, 20:51
hi im on sertraline and have drank on it you tend to get drunk a lil faster and the day after you will feel like shit there is no medical evidence to show that somethink will happen just be sensible doctors advice you to avoid alcohol ! but hey you cant live life never drinking or living like a nun can you ! :D

Nene
05-06-11, 00:44
Drinking on Sertraline causes the tablets to strengthen, I read that because I looked in to it, I have always if I know I'm going to have a drink not take my tablet that day, or I have found I feel really dizzy

kibbutz83
05-06-11, 12:27
Hi, just wondering why you're taking antidepressants, then you wanna drink alcohol which is a depressant?

lourah1989
08-06-11, 18:40
its not about getting smashed you can drink in moderation, everyones diffrent depends how you outlook on life is i suppose ! i dont mean drink everyday but enjoy life a social drink with friends or a glass of wine with dinner ! it does have unpleasant side effects the day after but only you if you drink irresponsibly ! you cant put you whole life on hold you have to keep living a normal life to be honest ! stopping doing normal everyday things will only make you even more depressed xxx hope your all okay !!! xxx

StressedAndDepressed
09-06-11, 17:31
I'm about to change from citalopram to sertraline for anxiety. The only way I can switch off right now (to sleep) is to have a couple of drinks. With 50mg there was no mention about not drinking by the GP and its not on the chemists label (my chemist can go a bit overboard at times).

I'm assuming that I need to take care, keeping things in moderation. Ie. just a couple. Hopefully, if it works then sleeping will be a whole lot easier anyway so it won't be an issue.

I guess I'll be testing it, unless anyone has any horror stories? Do the effects get worse at higher doses?

lourah1989
08-07-11, 18:14
Im on 50mg and the side affects for me dont kick in when im drinking its the day after, you just have to be careful like very careful but if you do drink loads then most the time you'll be thinking your dieing when really its just a typical hangover dont let the side affects play on your mind else you will end up having them by just thinking omg is somethink going to happen to me xx

James1983
08-07-11, 22:43
I have just been proscribed sertraline and have not taken any because i like to have the odd drink. plus i go on holiday in a month's time and want a little drink when i am there. i don't know what to do really?:shrug:

haz
09-07-11, 00:05
I've given up alcohol since I started on sertraline 6 months ago. I'm just not willing to feel increased anxiety and panic for days afterwards for the sake of a drink. It's bad enough already.

I did used to drink on Seroxat without any significant problems, although I did experience bad hangovers the next day even if I wasn't drunk.

Tyke
09-07-11, 04:13
*UPDATE*
I am currently on Sertraline 50mg. On my last visit to the doctor I asked again about drinking alcohol as I have missed not being able to have the occasional drink. His response was that as I am now stable, I would be okay to drink a little, no more than if I was driving. Since then I have had a couple of drinks on occasions and pleased to say I suffered no ill effects :D.

Tyke

MintyFresh
09-07-11, 08:36
Not being able to drink while on Sertraline surprises me a bit. I've now been on 50mg for 8 weeks and I haven't changed my drinking habits at all. In fact after the first few drinks I feel even more normal than ever and don't get even get a hangover!:)

Mind you, i'm not talking about getting completely legless - just up to half a dozen drinks maybe.

becksfan86
10-07-11, 11:41
I have same issue, im going to a leavers do tomorrow, i am on 100mg of sertraline and was going to slip a tablet and drink, ive now really thought about it and im not gonna missa tablet as it could make me feel worse lnowing i havent taken my tablet, and im not gonna drink ive deided, ive only been on them 2 weeks and feeling alot better dont wanna risk having a relapse.

purplehaz
10-07-11, 20:41
just a quick question ? how has everyone been on the lustral ? im on 100mg not much of a difference really .... :(

and to answer your question alcohol is a bad idea i found out the hard, my stupid ass doctor told me it would be fine to drink alcohol so i did and the side affects are ****ing terrible ! it makes your thinking go all weird, he obviously didnt read his reference book !

i should have looked at the label aswell but i took his word ! only after feeling like shite the next day did i read the label !!

so always read the label folks doesnt matter what the doc sayz !

Tyke
11-07-11, 02:45
just a quick question ? how has everyone been on the lustral ? im on 100mg not much of a difference really .... :(
It's pretty much sorted me out Purplehaz. I'm on 50mg, but I am functioning normally again, which I started to do after about five weeks on the drug. How long have you been on them?

Tyke