PDA

View Full Version : I have now convinced myself I have depersonalization disorder

Rhys1879SAFC
31-05-11, 12:26
Sorry, it seems I keep going on and on about the same stuff but it helps me to get things off my chest!

Its coming up to four months of pretty much constant dp/dr for me now, and I have convinced myself that it isn't anxiety causing this now but that I have actually developed full blown depersonalization disorder.

In the past I would be anxious about my health, worrying about my eyes and whatever, but now all my worries and thoughts every day are focussed on dp/dr, I'm terrified I'm going to be stuck with this thing for years or possibly for the rest of my life.

Do you think I could have have dp/dr disorder? Or is it just a result of my constant anxiety? Help!

blueangel
31-05-11, 12:58
Well, the only person who could tell you this for sure is a medic, so I'm afraid that we can't help you out with this one. You could always try dropping a PM to a user called RLR. He's around sometimes, and is a retired doctor.

I know from my own experiences that depersonalisation can last for a long time. I had it badly as a result of anxiety when I was a student, and I think I had it pretty much constantly for about 3-4 months. It did go off eventually, but seemed to be linked with me not sleeping properly, so maybe this is part of the problem for you as well?

Rhys1879SAFC
31-05-11, 13:18
Well, the only person who could tell you this for sure is a medic, so I'm afraid that we can't help you out with this one. You could always try dropping a PM to a user called RLR. He's around sometimes, and is a retired doctor.

I know from my own experiences that depersonalisation can last for a long time. I had it badly as a result of anxiety when I was a student, and I think I had it pretty much constantly for about 3-4 months. It did go off eventually, but seemed to be linked with me not sleeping properly, so maybe this is part of the problem for you as well?

No, I sleep fine to be honest and I eat well, I just wish I could stop the constant thinking about it, this is what makes it much worse.

phil06
31-05-11, 14:27
It's probably best you avoid Depersonalization forums/google and so on I worried about much worse by going on them and it's a cycle.

Does it matter if it's a disorder? It's probably best not to go naming them making yourself feel worse. If it is a long term feeling of depersonalization many others have it, you live with it and do your best to ignore it.

I've been agoraphobic, insomniac (no sleep), shaking barely moving out a chair, stuck in google all day from this worry. I learned you can't fight it get good/bad days. I strongly recommend you learn the symptoms, accept it and do some relaxation cd's and try and avoid talking/thinking about the word DP/DR.

Rhys1879SAFC
31-05-11, 14:50
The worst thing is that nobody seems to understand me.

I'll tell my family or friends about how it makes me feel and they'll just say "you're acting fine", and I can't help but think to myself "no, you don't understand, there is hell in my mind and in my body". No-one can tell that you have it, you just seem the same as you are when you're normal.

phil06
31-05-11, 15:19
The worst thing is that nobody seems to understand me.

I'll tell my family or friends about how it makes me feel and they'll just say "you're acting fine", and I can't help but think to myself "no, you don't understand, there is hell in my mind and in my body". No-one can tell that you have it, you just seem the same as you are when you're normal.

It feels different for everybody.

Especially combined with other anxiety symptoms.

PanchoGoz
31-05-11, 17:13
The thing to remember is its in your mind not your brain. There is no point researching it because it only makes it feel worse. The thing to do is get on with your life and laugh in its face. I don't know if you've tried this, but it helps to clear the feelings of being detatched if you feel that bad:

1. Stand up with your bare feet shoulder width apart and focus on something on the other side of the room (twice as good if its eye contact with another person).
2. Focus on the object, also focus on the feeling of your feet on the floor, and your connection to the earth.
3. Breathe deeply with your tummy in through you nose. Your chest shouldn't move much. Do this making sure your breath out is longer than your breath in.
4. Do the breath about 10 times. You should feel a lot more connected to the world afterwards. Do it twice a day if you can, or whenever you feel bad. And even if it doesn't work amazingly, you can also just lie down with your eyes closed and listen to the sounds outside the house and inside the house.