PDA

View Full Version : New member, recently diagnosed with Panic Disorder

raychn2003
31-05-11, 16:25
Hi,
I'm a new member looking for like-minded people, for advice and comfort, I was recently diagnosed with anxiety attacks/Panic disorder, and am still the the accepting stage. Having real difficulty accepting it as I wasn't (or so I believed) the type of person who could be susceptible to worry and panic attacks. I am slowly beginning to accept my diagnosis through research into my symptoms and knowing I am not alone, yet I don't know (personally) anyone else who can sympathise. I've found anxiety to be still very stigmatised along with most mental health issues, with most people still needing to be dragged out of the dark ages!!!

Raych x

diane07
31-05-11, 16:28
Hi raychn2003

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

KayleighJane
31-05-11, 19:35
hiya i have had this for 6 months now and i am still in the accepting stage so i know how you feel. you'll meet loads of like minded people on here who can help you out, everyone is very nice.

kayleigh x

Vanilla Sky
31-05-11, 22:49
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:
Paige x

Veronica H
01-06-11, 08:30
:welcome:To NMP Raych
Thoughts become feelings very quickly with this illness as our nerves are so sensitised. It is fear which keeps this cycle going. There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES published by Thorsens ISBN 0-7225-3155-9.This is available from the NMP shop. Dr Weekes was a physician and scientist. She was a fellow sufferer (nominated for the nobel prize for medicine) and really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it, and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can't recommend this enough.( It is a bit old fashioned, but still so relevant).

Here is a link to her site;
http://www.claireweekes.com.au/ (http://www.claireweekes.com.au/)

This will get better. Vx