PDA

View Full Version : woke up with stabbing pain

countrygirl
31-05-11, 18:38
about an inch to left at waist level at 4.40am. I have had these weird attacks of pain before over the years that usually last few days and have all sorts of tests. I even had my appendix out for a stabbing spasm in right side of abdomen 3 yrs ago and it was okay.

Two things are that over the weekend because it was my birthday and I a big party I was doing alot of lifting and carrying million times more than I would normally and my ribs hurt when I bend or straighten but I also was eating loads of foods that I don't normally like chinese - lots of sweet puddings and chocolate.

So at 4,40 am I had the stabbing spasm for about half an hour not being able to sleep and then I had to have a bowel movement. I slept a bit but the pain kept coming. I had another 4 bowel movements until lunchtime.

I really cannot tell if the pain is from my bowel or muscular from my overused back.. Whenever I straighten or bend my ribs really hurt on left side and I cannot twist but when I get the spasm pain I feel as if I may want to have a bowel movement. I also am getting rid of wind as well.

The pain is bad and making me sweat. I have ended up in hospital panicking about this sort of pain before hence the appendix removal and have had loads of ultrasounds and even colonsocopy and was told it was either bad attacks of ibs or referred pain from my iffy back.

I am so scared it will not get better.

countrygirl
31-05-11, 21:47
I have just remembered that I was hauling heavy settees around on Saturday afternoon making space for people - wonder if I have pulled the muscles around my ribs on left side and the spasms are because of what I was doing - the pain comes round at waist level and stops just left of middle and lasts a few seconds.

macc noodle
31-05-11, 23:55
So Countrygirl you have had these pains before then? Over a period of 4 years occasionally and all tests have come back clear? And it has been put down to IBS or pulled muscles? (plus your own anxiety about the pain in the first place?)

Therefore, it is more than likely that it is the same again ? I have had something similar last year and ended up on diclofenac and antibiotics and the doc suggested it could be diverticulitis but that to confirm that it would need further investigation (the dreaded camera) and she recommended that we wait and see if it reoccurs. The diclofenac did the job (I think) and the pain was gone within a day of taking them.

I really would go and see my GP if it was me - just to put my mind at rest and also to see if the can prescribe anything to ease it for you.

Jan
xx

countrygirl
01-06-11, 09:51
Thanks Jan - I am off to see GP this afternoon. I also have gallstones had them for years but now wondering if I am getting gallbladder attacks but on the left?????? I will ask if not suggested that they do bloods to check liver and pancreas as I know that iffy gallbladder will affect these and hopefully he wants an ultrasound to rule out a stuck gallstone.

I was awake most of last night with the pain like having contrractions!

Trouble is I have def pulled things hauling the chairs around so its hard to know whats what.

countrygirl
01-06-11, 16:08
Saw the dr this afternoon and he examined me and said nothing acute as I did not have any awful pain when he was pressing - it was a bit painful if he pressed hard as he called it. He said if I had gallbladder attack or a stone stuck I would not be able to bear him to press even slightly.

He took blood for a full blood count, liver function and kidneys and for my benefit pancreas test - he said anything to do with pancreas and I would not be able to get to Drs as I would be throwing up as well as rolling round the floor in agony but he said he would do the test for me.

He said he feels the pain is spasms of either bowel or muscle.

He said wait and see what the bloods say.

turnthelighton
01-06-11, 16:35
Hi, I have something simular it get a lot of pain if I bend or sit down and slouch. Been to the docs today as well and again he said nothing acute. Lets hope we get this sorted soon