PDA

View Full Version : Back to Propranolol

MardyBum
31-05-11, 22:07
I was given Citalopram to deal with my panic with very very nasty side effects. After speaking to my dr today on the phone she has given me a script for Propranolol. I remember taking this back in 2005 when I was really bad with my anxiety and cant remember any side effects but that was a long time ago.

Anyway my question is, what to expect and whens the best time to take them with/ without food? They are 40mg and been told once a day?

Thanks x

MardyBum
02-06-11, 09:09
Anyone? xx

macc noodle
02-06-11, 09:14
Hi Mardybum!

Same as you Cit just didn't work - made me feel worse - so I chucked em down the loo!

Given beta blockers but smaller dose than yours - but I was told I could take them when I felt the need (obviously within the recommended daily dose!) but that she recommended in the morning after breakfast.

I suppose it depends on what works best for you and what the quack recommended.

:)

MardyBum
02-06-11, 17:05
Hi Mardybum!

Same as you Cit just didn't work - made me feel worse - so I chucked em down the loo!

Given beta blockers but smaller dose than yours - but I was told I could take them when I felt the need (obviously within the recommended daily dose!) but that she recommended in the morning after breakfast.

I suppose it depends on what works best for you and what the quack recommended.

:)

My dr didnt tell me a "best" time to take them :wacko: lol i have to say they really helped me the last time and def took the edge of how I was feeling. I dont remember any side effects last time. how u finding them hun? x

Edit to add I was also told last time to take as and when needed but this time shes told me to take one everyday lol x

raychn2003
02-06-11, 18:50
I was prescribed Propanolol for migraine prophylaxis, and it was around the same time I started becoming ill. I'm not saying the Propranolol caused me to become ill, but they sure didn't help! Which is a shame because they worked really well for the migraines!!!!
I was never told an optimum time, I was on 1 40mg twice daily. I used to take them just before bed with the aim of sleeping out the side effects, but soon I was unable to fall asleep, so took them with breakfast in the hope daily chores would numb the side effects! Eventually I scrapped them alltogether.

Helen82
02-06-11, 23:09
Hi mardy bum

I've been on 40mg once a day for over 3 weeks now and I take it as soon as I wake up it helps but my doctor has just upped it to 80mg. Anyway first thing works for me before food. Hope it helps :winks:

MardyBum
10-06-11, 23:58
Thanks everyone.. ive still not been brave enough to take them after my episode with the cit *blush*

what side effects are people finding with these? I cant remember any last time but I was in a bad place back then so I might of I just try and block it all out if you know what I mean? xx

littlestar1981
17-06-11, 22:29
I've had no side effects from them, and I'm taking 40mg three times a day for the physical side of anxiety. Some people have said take it in the morning (if you're just taking one) as some people say they find it hard to get to sleep, but I haven't found that personally. The leaflet says to take before food, but again I have taken it after food and have had no side effects.

Please don't compare it to Citalopram, completely different drug. I took myself off Citalopram after just 48 hours as I couldn't cope with the side effects and am now combining Propranolol with Amitriptyline.

I personally worship these tablets they've converted me from a crumbling wreck to something a bit more normal!

ciccone-hassell
21-06-11, 14:17
only side effects i had was sweating , and when riding bike or walking fast i became out of breath " but they deffo help my pals and fast heart rate " i've been left with the option of takin either beater blockers or the amitripyline ,