PDA

View Full Version : BDD and OCD

On The Outside
01-06-11, 16:45
I'm not diagnosed with BDD but have spent years thinking I might have it along with my myriad of other problems. I have spoken to people in the past who said they were diagnosed though, strangely, a couple of them had no problems about putting lots of photos of themselves on the net!

For me, this is something I really have a problem with. I have hardly had any photos taken of myself since the age of 14! I can sometimes tell msyelf I'm not bad looking but most of the time I hate the way I look and especially in photos. This is probably because of my low self esteem and that I've almost never had any compliments about my appearance. (I'm shy and don't meet many people though but I didn't get compliments when I had my photo online.) I avoid mirrors as much as possible though, in the past, I have checked my appearance obsessively.

I've always associated a lot of my issues about the way I look with OCD which I've suffered from since the age of six.

As usual, I'm writing about this in a fairly rational and restrained way but I can often get into a terrible emotional state about my appearance and have often wanted to look different.

Stoat29
03-06-11, 16:41
Hi I think I might have bdd but I only found out about it last year when I went through depression. If I'm low I can't look in the mirror as I hate what I see. When I look in the mirror i think about my imperfections and ways of getting them fixed even though they are minor and for some reason I also get bad worries of damaging my body by stress but that makes me stress more. Bdd manifests in different ways. David veale does a book with cbt but get help sooner rather than later as I'm suffering more and more as I've never learnt to deal with it and it stops you from living your life to the full.