PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely paranoid that I was injected during a blood test

d85
02-06-11, 13:30
Hello,

I registered a few days ago but haven't been sure of what to write about my situation. I'm a 25 year old male from the UK, and have no idea how to sort my life out.

I think a lot of my anxiety has stemmed from the death of my granddad, who passed away last October. No one close to me had ever died before, and I think it shook me more than I realised at the time. I've always been a little worried about my health, but I'd say probably no more than the 'average' person. I never obsessed about it.

However, in February of this year, I was falling asleep one night before I was due to spend a weekend in London, when I suddenly started to stress about HIV. For the next few days, I was a wreck after believing I'd become infected during past sexual activity (even though I hadn't done anything for 2 years, and before that one time, it was another 1.5 years). In the end, I decided to have a rapid HIV test at one of the main GUM clinics when I arrived in London, which came back negative and put my worries to rest in that respect. I did have a little worry as I was wandering around London that I could've caught something through the fingerprick they used to test the blood, but that went out of my head after a couple of days.

Over the next few months, I had the odd pain here and there that has been explainable in the end in each instance, though at the time it tore me apart through anxiety. I had a small, slightly painful lump on my epiglottis that turned out to just be an infected scratch though I fully believed it was throat cancer. Then I had arm pain which I was 99% sure was RSI from computer use, but as it persisted & my brain overworked, I started to think it was some sort of arthritis & that I'd need an operation. Then I had a pain in my groin which I first thought was a hernia, saw a doctor who said it was just a painful lymph node that'd most likely go, which it did after a few weeks (I believe it was from an insect bite that I didn't see at the time), but I'd already convinced myself I'd need an operation to remove it.

Then the most recent problem, which is where my current anxiety/paranoia has stemmed from, was due to some testicular pain I had for 10 days before I booked a GP's appointment. By then I'd spent days googling possible causes, and had convinced myself I'd got an STD—again, after not having had any sexual contact for 2.5 years by this point. I'd not been tested for some years before, however, so I'd additionally convinced myself that I'd had it for years and that it'd been damaging my body the whole time. I decided to book a sexual health checkup with my local GUM clinic.

By the time I saw my GP, I'd had the pain for 2 weeks. He said it was probably epididymitis & that it'd clear by itself. He did mention sexual health because of my age, and I told him I had the clinic appointment, which he said was a good idea, just to be sure.

However, the prospect of the checkup at the GUM clinic brought back all of my anxieties about my previous HIV test. At first I didn't think much of it, but then when I read that they'd offer me another HIV test (which would take 2 weeks to come back), I started to stress about whether I should have it because I didn't think I could bare the wait for the results. Then I convinced myself the test in February was wrong, or the person who did it misread it and then I became paranoid that the lady who did it just decided she didn't like me & gave me the wrong result. I couldn't focus on anything else. I didn't work, and I barely ate. All I did was google the test I had in February, how it's performed, accuracy rates etc. I rang an advisor at the Terrence Higgins Trust to discuss my anxiety, and he was very helpful. In the end, I decided not to have the HIV test (but would continue with all of the other tests).

So I went to my appointment (still worrying about whether I'd made the right decision to not have the HIV test) and spoke to a very nice nurse who took my history etc. We decided that they'd do a blood test for syphilis and for hep B antibodies (to see if I'd been vaccinated, I believe). They then did the swabs, the nurse left and I sat down for the blood test with a lady who was there to help during the swabs, and also seemed nice. I looked at the needle before she started the test as I suppose I wanted to make sure it was sterile. I didn't look while she did the blood test, but it felt like she took 2 vials of blood.

I did have a chat with the health advisor afterwards, about my anxiety, though she suggested that I should have the HIV test, which didn't at all help my anxiety after having spent so long convincing myself that the test in February was correct and that I didn't need another one. I know she was only saying it in the sense of her not wanting me to worry about it any more, but she said things like "Most likely, the test in February was right, but with us, you'll know it's all tested in a laboratory setting" and "We've already got your blood—all you have to say is yes". I knew I couldn't bare the 2 week wait for the results, so I stuck to my original decision and said no.

I got home and suddenly thought "What if the needle she used for the blood test wasn't sterile?", though I was able to remember seeing it and I'm pretty sure it was new. Then I thought "I didn't watch her do it—what if the lady who did the blood test injected me with something or someone's blood?" and I started to really panic that I'd contracted HIV because of her actions. I became convinced that the feeling I thought was her changing from one vial to another, half way through, was actually her removing/adding something she used to inject me with. I had no real reason to suspect she'd done anything—she'd been chatty with me, and came across as a nice person. It was purely because I didn't watch what she was doing.

I spoke to my mum on the phone, who drove down that night & took me back to her's as I was in such a state. The next couple of days were bad as I couldn't shake this suspicion that this lady had done something to me. I've had depression in the past, but this feels so much worse as at least during that time, I knew that my fears in my head couldn't hurt me, whereas this time, it's because I actually believe that I've been physically hurt.

I saw my mum's GP a couple of days after I got here, who prescribed some diazepam for the panic attacks, and recommended counselling (though I'm looking to organise that down at my home GP) and antidepressants (though I took those for my depression a few years ago and felt they didn't really do anything for me, but counselling did). The panic attacks have reduced, but I've pretty much resigned myself to the idea that she did actually do something to me. It's been a week since the blood test, and now I just feel hollow and that there's not much point in carrying on because of what's been done to me. Each morning I wake up believing I've been having a horrible nightmare, but then realise that it's actually what's happening in reality.

I really don't know how to get over this, even if I have counselling. I can't ever see this belief that she did something to me disappearing. I don't know what to do. Rationally, 1% of my brain realises that my fear is based around my previous fears & experiences—particularly about what I believe she injected me with, but that doesn't stop the rest of my mind overriding it and telling me that my fear actually happened.

Thank you, in advance, for reading my post and for any replies that there might be. I really do appreciate it.

blueangel
03-06-11, 09:05
Dahlia is spot on about this. I've worked in the NHS for years and there is no way at all that needles are re-used - this hasn't happened for decades now. When hypodermic needles are manufactured, they are pre-packed individually and sterilised. The needles don't even touch each other in the packaging as they have to have a plastic shield covering them. This is to protect the person that the needle will be used on, and also to protect the nurse/doctor from any injury from the needle.

Also, procedures for handling sterile objects are very strict and medical staff have to use what is known as a "no-touch" process, which means that as soon as they remove the cover from the needle, their fingers aren't allowed to come into contact with it - they have to touch the plastic syringe instead.

Hope this helps.

d85
03-06-11, 17:29
Thank you so much to both of you for the replies. It's really comforting to know that there are other people out there who understand & don't judge.

Your reassurances have helped calm my fear around the needle being sterile or not, though my main fear/paranoia is that the lady who performed the blood test did something to me maliciously. I know it sounds irrational (I suppose that's why I'm looking for help), but because I didn't watch what she did, my head has about 20 different stories of what could've happened during the time I looked away.

I can't shake this fear that while I wasn't looking, she somehow injected me with someone's blood (on purpose, possibly because she didn't like me). The test only took about 30 seconds, and I think (though I'm not even sure of this anymore) that she used one of those needles with a hub to allow you to attach & detach vials as needed. As I mentioned above, at the time I thought "Oh, she's taking two vials of blood" because of the sensation I felt (about half way through the test it felt like she detached something from the hub and then attached something else). It wasn't until I came home that I started to convince myself that the first thing I felt was her taking one vial of blood, but that the second thing I felt was her attaching a syringe or something similar to inject me with.

The rational part of my brain can see that I was already anxious about HIV and that's probably why I'm now convinced I contracted it when she performed the blood test. I've had blood tests in the past and have never thought these things before, but then in the past I think I tended to watch what they did during them, mainly out of curiosity. I also think it's my brain saying "Well, you just about convinced yourself the negative test in February was correct and were sorting through your anxiety, so now I'm going to plant something in your head that you can't escape from. You haven't had sexual contact for 2.5 years, so you must have put yourself at risk by having a needle in your arm." But as I'm sure you know, even if there's a part of your brain thinking rationally, the irrational side always seems to overpower.

I've even convinced myself that when she said things like, "I'll let you know when I'm about to do it so you can look away" (which she probably says to everyone in case they don't like needles), she was actually trying to convince me to look away so I didn't see what she was doing to me. I've beaten myself up so much for not watching, or for not paying attention to how many vials of blood were in the paper tray.

As I say, she gave me no real reason to suspect anything of her. It's not even as if she gave me a bad look, or seemed in a bad mood etc. She was reasonably chatty. But then I suppose I then think she had it all well calculated and wanted to seem calm and nice in front of me.

I can't tell what's real and what's in my head anymore, and I'm finding it difficult to think of my future as a happy one.

AlexandriaUK
03-06-11, 20:46
Think this way, if she had injected you with another sample of blood then there are a couple of big issues, firstly whose blood was it and where did she get it from and it can’t be from someone else from the same day or clinic because at the end of the day she has to account for all the phials she has used so therefor she must have brought it in with her in your opinion, also bear in mind she does not know your blood type and if she gave you a different blood to your own then you would maybe have been pretty poorly straight the way maybe even have died, how would she have explained that???? I truly believe that she took 2 phials of blood as requested for the tests they do and nothing else, taking blood is one thing in a vein in the arm putting something back in takes a lot longer and is not so easy once she has done the initial extraction.
Please don’t worry you know you don’t have HIV and I know this nurse did not put anything in you, it is your HA kicking in and making you feel a little, sorry cant think of the word.

d85
05-06-11, 13:48
Thank you again, so much, for the replies. They did help to calm me down quite a bit.

It's a good idea, Dahlia. I remember doing some CBT when I was having treatment for the depression. That was while I was at university, and they provided a free counselling service which I couldn't fault. I'm going to see what options there are for NHS counselling, and how quickly I'd be able to get into it. If it seems like it'll be quite a wait, I'm going to look into private options. The testicular pain has long gone, luckily, though the (mental) effects it triggered through the health anxiety are obviously still here.

That all makes sense, jamangie. I did think that it would be reasonably difficult to inject something, though I think my head's decided that she just used a very small amount. I know it's irrational, I just can't shake it from my head.

I was starting to feel better over the last couple of days until last night when I started to feel like I was getting a sore throat with neck pain, and became convinced that this was a sign of HIV infection because of the time period that the symptoms take to show.

I've had a bit of arm/shoulder ache since I had the blood test (which is now about 11 days ago). There was a little bruise at the needle site for about a week (which I expected), and I did hope that the main pain was from sleeping in a different bed with a different pillow while I'm up at my mum's. But of course I've convinced myself that it's the infection that's spread as the pain was near my forearm, then a couple of days later was in my upper arm, then shoulder, and then last night it felt like it moved more into my neck/head. Then I started to feel a sore throat and really panicked.

I woke up this morning and felt a little better, though my throat now feels tickly, I have a slight cough & my head feels a little blocked up. Of course, I can't shake the thoughts from my head. I've been trying so hard to try and not get even a sore throat because I knew it'd make my anxiety flare up. I know it's not really possible to avoid sore throats/colds etc, but I knew what it'd do to my head. I'm so scared.

I think it's the "what if" scenario that I know is present in these things. The chances may be remote, but the consequences are huge and I suppose that's what the fear is.

blueangel
06-06-11, 09:58
OK, let's see if there's something else I can add to this.

The apparatus required for taking a blood sample and that required for giving a injection are actually quite different - although they both have a needle on the end.

You need a syringe for giving an injection, and vacuum vials for taking blood samples. The way these vials work is that they literally suck the blood out of the vein, which is why it can feel slightly odd, particularly if they have to take a number of samples.

To have injected you with something, the nurse would have had to remove the vacuum vial and add a syringe - you can't push blood out of a vacuum vial back into a vein as the thing simply doesn't work that way. They're a one-way street as they're rigid with no plunger attached. Also, to attach a syringe to the needle that she had put in your vein would have taken quite a bit of fiddling and the sensation would have felt very different. It would probably have even been more uncomfortable as there would be a risk of either dislodging the needle or even pushing it too far into the vein.

And on the whole thing of HIV/AIDS, try the CBT technique of "what's the worst that can happen?" OK, so the worst thing for you would be having HIV, but let's look at the rational information here:

* HIV is still quite a rare illness, unless you live in one of the African nations that's badly affected by it
* HIV is pretty difficult to catch - the common thinking is that it's often acquired by repeated exposure to the virus rather than one-offs (although this isn't impossible)
* HIV sufferers can now live many years with the condition; when it first appeared, it was a death sentence as not much was understood about retroviruses and it took a long time to work out efficient treatments for it. BUT that's not the case now; if you get diagnosed a treated quickly, it's a controllable disease

Hope this helps - you need to let go of this one.

Girl_Interrupted
06-06-11, 10:41
Hi there sorry to hear about ur recent experience, I had a HIV fear that lasted for 20 years until I had the test done about 4 years ago, came back negative :) which my doctor told me it would! I think with HA sufferers we can at times get a little paranoid and feel that 'someone' will expose us to the virus in some way. I had blood taken from a nurse and I didn't look at the needle as it makes me feel sick! Health care professionals are there for your well being and certainly not to put u in harms way, it would be morally unacceptable. So all equipment used to take ur blood was 100% sterile. It would take a very nasty evil person to inject u with the HIV virus and somehow I don't think this happened to you. U have to balance logic and irrational fear, and have faith that the result will be negative and that u are perfectly fine :)

Take care xx

d85
07-06-11, 11:52
Thank you blueangel—those are some of the things I keep trying to tell myself (about the vials). I spent quite some time googling & trying to see images of the equipment used to see if there's any way to inject using it but I couldn't really be sure. (Then, of course, I started to believe she will have fashioned something out of other equipment or found something specially for the purpose)

Girl_Interrupted, that's exactly how I feel. Do you know where/why your fear started? I think, for some reason, I believe I'm going to become contract HIV at some point, it's just a question of when/how. I hadn't had any sexual experience for over 2 years, then had an HIV test which was negative so was just about convinced that everything was OK. But then this fear/paranoia appears because I've had a needle in my arm. "Well if you didn't put yourself at risk through sex, you've put yourself at risk because of the needle." is what my anxiety is saying, and I suppose comparing a blood test to IV drug use.

It's getting tiring. A couple of times now, I've started to feel slightly less anxious about it, only to have something come along to restart it again. Last night I decided to check & see if I had a rash, and was convinced that I had one around my stomach. My mum/nan said that I didn't, but I couldn't remember how my skin normally looks. But still, I was convinced, and started to panic again so took 4mg diazepam. I still don't know why I have this tickly throat (for the last 3 days) & neck ache (progressed from the arm/shoulder ache I had since the blood test almost 2 weeks ago) though—that is worrying me.

Girl_Interrupted
07-06-11, 19:19
Hi there, Yes my fear started believe it or not when I was 12!! it happened at school sex education when at the time HIV/Aids was the big disease (late 80's) unfortunately my teacher at the time was a little misinformed on how to deal with this topic, stating on how u can catch the virus. At this time in my life I was going through a very bad time, I'd lost my step dad to cancer, 5 years earlier, and had not properly dealt with his death. I also felt awful, with a bad cold that day. So put the 2 together it made a fantastic opportunity to have an illness!!! And HIV was the one! So after that fantastic day at school I went home thinking that's what I had! I spent 20 years of my life paranoid about it, I made myself so ill I convinced myself I had it. Turned out I didn't!

I only say this because I've been there, if ur really worried, get another test done, just to put ur mind at rest, also if u are involved in a relationship just be careful, but enjoy it as well. I've been with my partner now for nearly 7 years and to be honest HIV doesn't enter my head, yes admittedly I'll never forget what I felt all those years. But HA ruled my life back then not HIV, HIV was just convenient at the time.

d85
08-06-11, 14:08
That makes perfect sense. It's funny (terrifying, really) how our minds can take one or two bits of information and create a whole scenario. I suppose people who don't suffer from anxiety probably have the same thoughts as us, but they don't 'stick'. How did you/do you control your anxiety these days?

I'm not in a relationship currently, though I would like to be. It's been a long time since I was, and I miss the companionship—I'm sure the lack of a companion doesn't help my anxiety. I miss having that one person you can lean on. Family & friends are (and have been) wonderful, but a partner brings something you don't find elsewhere.

I just phoned the clinic for my results, and they said everything they tested for (gonorrhea, chlamydia & syphilis) has come back negative. (The Hepatitis B antibody test also came back negative, which apparently means I haven't been vaccinated against it, though the lady on the phone said I didn't need to be unless I was in a high-risk occupation.)

Those test results are a relief, though my anxiety has obviously progressed much further since (and is caused by) the day of the test. I'm seeing my GP on Monday to talk about my anxiety/counselling etc. so that's the next thing in my mind to work towards.

Girl_Interrupted
08-06-11, 22:25
Good news then, all negative thats brilliant and a relief as well :) Just stay positive, ur OK :) for me I just felt that i'd had enough of HA, I think getting older has changed how i've felt. 36 this year, I spent far to long focused on my health that I realised i've not lived! Yes I get the odd moment which freaks me out, unfortunately having HA since I was 12 is all that I know, so its a case of breaking the behavioural cycle. I go the gym, go out socially with friends, and most of all I have a laugh about it all. I get good and bad days, but i'm trying not to let the bad days get me down.

My suggestion is 2morrow do something u wanna do, with friends or family or just a hobby on ur own, and try not to think about ur health, just for one day, and only one day at a time :)

Hope all that makes sense :)

Take care

jaythomas
10-06-11, 17:05
Hey there, dont know how related this is and its definately not as serious as your worries, but one night I had a massive panic attack and was picked up the next day by parents (im a uni student) and on the way back home we stopped in a little restaurant and an odd guy came up to me (he was a bit mental i think) and shook my hand and as soon as he did it i started to panic, get burning feelings in my neck and could feel a panic attack coming just because i thought "what if he's got HIV and we've both got cuts on our hands and I get it" etc which was silly but still i was sat there looking at my hand to see if it had any cuts on it. Anyways, HIV wasnt one of the things that usually bothered me but there I was worried about it for such a small reason

d85
19-06-11, 21:12
I think do something active is a big part of it, Girl_Interrupted. I've noticed that I seem to feel worse when I'm allowed to dwell on it. It doesn't help working from home and not having many friends around here (I'm living back home at the moment). Thank you for your kind words.

jaythomas, that sounds similar to anxiety I've had also. Did the anxiety disappear by itself? I went to the cinema a few days ago, and as I was coming home I realised I had a small cut on my little finger of my left hand. At first I didn't think anything of it, but then I realised I must've got it while I was at the cinema, so I started to worry where it had come from, what could it have been in contact with etc. All these scenarios ran through my head. The cut itself had healed within a couple of days, but now I'm trying not to think about it because I know I'll start to stress again. It's strange because I'm a nail biter, and I bite the skin around my nails, to the point where it sometimes bleeds, but I've never been worried about that in the same way I worry about cuts etc. I suppose if i thought about it for too long, that would start to worry me too.

I've been having a bad few days recently. I'm finding it hard to think about the future; even 2 days ahead is too far for me at the moment. Although the panic has (almost) gone, I feel like I've resigned myself to the fact that something did happen, and it's just a matter of time before I find out. No amount of rationalising seems to change it.

It was my birthday on Thursday, and the day was quite nice, though quiet. I think I felt a little better recently because there's been something happening the next day to focus on (family have been coming and going, seeing my best friend for the first time in a few weeks, my birthday etc.), but since the birthday, I feel like I'm just reliving every day like the last. I feel like I'm just going through the motions of life, but that there's no point in planning anything because my life is over as far as I can see. That sounds dramatic, but I feel quite calm about it. Almost like I'm just living each day because I feel I should. I'm not enjoying them, I'm just treading water.

I saw my home GP last week, who has arranged an initial NHS counselling assessment appointment for the 1st July, though she said that it could be much longer after that until I'm able to start the actual counselling. We did discuss private counselling, though she said she didn't know anyone to recommend. I'm more than willing to go private if it'll be quicker and/or allow me to see someone who specialises in HA. I'll look around, particularly on this site/the forums, to see if I can find anyone near me.

In my process of thinking, over the last few days, I've come to believe that a lot of my anxiety (especially in this particular case) is down to lack of control. I've always been (and have joked about being) a control freak. If there's something to do, I'll do it myself to make sure it's done & done properly. So I suppose I find it difficult to trust people, and that's why I have the anxiety about the blood test. I have to trust that the lady who performed it didn't do anything to me, just like hundreds of thousands/millions of people do every day. My backup of watching the procedure isn't there (which I keep beating myself up about), so I have to trust her. I have no other option, or I'll forever believe she did something, as I do now. But that's the difficult part, because the anxiety is telling me I can't trust her. I can't shake the thought that I was that one unlucky person out of the millions who have blood tests. I get the impression that feeling like you're the one unlucky person is a common trait of health anxiety?

Thank you for the support... This forum and its members have been a lifeline for me, and I'll be forever grateful.