PDA

View Full Version : Where has my brain gone?!

existential crisis
21-04-06, 13:10
Hey - I havent been on here for a while as I have been doing pretty well but there is something that continues to niggle me that I would like some of your views on. Basically, my concentration is shot to ****. And my short term memory is worse than a goldfish's. Despite finally getting it through my head that anxiety is caused by thinking errors and living a normal and quite active life now, with not much fear of going out and doing things anymore, I find that I still suffer quite badly with terrible concentration/memory problems. It completely freaks me out. I used to be a high performing student and an articulate and chatty person but now I can hardly hold a conversation because my mind either wanders or I just cant keep up with what people are saying to me. God help anyone who wants to tell me something that is quite complex - I just cant seem to get my head around the simplest things. It's getting me down a bit because I cant see me ever being able to go back to uni or get a job if my concentration stays this bad.
I was on the phone to my friend this morning and we were discussing something and I just couldnt follow what she was saying. It's like I cant have a conversation anymore - there is no natural flow to it because I just cant effing concentrate! I'm bloody mixing my words up and stuttering and just generally struggling. I'm writing this now and I'm not quite sure what I'm on about! [Duh!]
It's getting to the point when I sometimes feel like I dont really know what I'm doing because it's so bad I get quite confused. It's like I am so inside my head that I cant concentrate on anything but NOT being able to concetrate - this in turn starts of a cycle of frustration and agitation. Also, I forget quite important things because it's like all I can concentrate on is what's going on with me and my head. I'm starting to feel like a pretty selfish person, tbh. :(
Any replies are welcome! Clare xxx

*I think, therefore I am.*

rosepetal
21-04-06, 13:19
Hi Clare.

I have similar problems with short term memory and concentration at the moment....(although long term memory is no hassle...elephant me...!!!I never forget!)

All I can say is be kind to yourself....what you are experiencing is common in people suffering from anxiety and depression, and you're not selfish really, but trying your hardest to manage with some symptoms that can be debilitating at times.

lizmarshall
21-04-06, 13:21
I know exactly how you feel, i cant concentrate or when people are talking to me, i feel like i'm not there half the time, i've been taking Emega 3 fish oil as it's supposed to help all this sort of stuff Mmmmm.

Liz

existential crisis
21-04-06, 13:30
Hey - Thanks for your replies.

Rosepetal - That's EXACTLY how I am. I can remember what I was wearing on the 10th of October 1987 (:D) But I can't remember what someone said to me at 10 o clock this morning! Thanks for the reassurance about not being selfish. I think your right, a lot of it is trying to manage troublesome symptoms. It's hard to be really 'with it' when you are trying to keep anxiety at bay.

Liz - I take VEGepa. Worked absolute wonders for low mood. They do repeat on you though! They are also supposed to help with concentration and memory - although I'm yet to see evidence of that!

Clare. xxx

*I think, therefore I am.*

Two heads
22-04-06, 13:58
Hi claire!Ive been living in a dream world for ages now.Sometimes i have to pinch myself to check its not a dream, if that makes any sense?
I just loose conentration within minutes of talking to someone,i thought it was just my brain looseing it.xxxx