PDA

View Full Version : terrified of anything that goes "bang"

springflower
03-06-11, 17:23
I am new and very much a novice, I'd love to find other folk
who are terrified of bangs - fireworks, crackers, balloons, cars, etc.
Mine phobia stems from the doodlebugs in the war.
I have tried hynotherapy - no luck.
Any advice out there. And what is my phobia's name....
spring flower:bighug1:

Arfur9
07-06-11, 15:29
I can imagine it being aweful when to V bomb went quiet :(
it must be a hard thing to be frightened of because they are usually random events
Isn't it either ekrixiphobia or ekriphobia for the fear of bangs and explosions? Its one of the things soldiers end up with if they have been on active duty

FriendlyBrunette1986
10-08-11, 12:34
I am terrified of bangs too. I hate balloons with a passions. Foil ones I love but I cant handle the mcdonalds type. I couldnt attend an event the other night due to balloons and panic. I cant go into places for long if balloons are around me. I feel sick constantly and I have 2 be near the exit to run out if need be. I hate kids playing with them too

Kiltieman
10-08-11, 18:58
In some ways its nice to hear from someone who is also panicky about balloons as i thought i was the only one and havnt been ever able to tell anyone about it. I agree that foil balloons are ok because they dont burst with a big bang but the latex type as in Mcdonalds etc have always made me panic. Brewers Fare used to have balloons for the kids and always seemed to bring them in and blow them up just as i started to eat thus spoiling my meal. Hated the whoosh of that helium tank as they blew them up.

springflower
11-08-11, 12:41
Its nice (if that is the correct word!) to know there are others out there with a fear of loud bangs. It seems to be pretty rare. It is such a "killjoy" at times, as I too flee anywhere that has balloons. A New Years Eve party is a "no go" as I dread the big net of balloons coming down! Has anyone found a good cure? A still can't find the correct name for this phobia, but have had some kind suggestions.
Good luck to everyone fighting this very silly phobia!!!!
Jenny (Springflower)

tennishead
24-12-11, 17:54
I would love to know a cure. I absolutely hate balloons and fireworks anything with a loud bang. I was going to try hypnotherapy next year. I completely freak out when there are balloons near me

william wallace
25-12-11, 00:03
Bang!! Merry Christmas:D

robinbrum
25-12-11, 09:47
If you are constantly exposed to it, say like a fireworks display, does the feeling lesson or is it only loud bangs and noises that are unexpected?

tennishead
25-12-11, 17:27
for me it's more when i expect it

miss polly
25-12-11, 23:43
I hate balloons, champagne corks, party poppers and anything else that's likely to bang. I have to leave the room if I spot any likely 'bangers'. If I'm startled by a bang I let out an involuntary scream and scare myself even more. My family think it's hilarious ~ needless to say I don't!

Kiltieman
02-01-12, 20:01
I've had a phobia of balloons going bang and anything else since I was a child. Managed to overcome part of it by gradually becoming able to blow balloons up and tie them but I cant stand being around others when they are blowing them up especially if they get so big they are transparent and you just know there is a big bang imminent. If I'm a scaredy cat then so be it. I am who I am and will try to help anyone I can.

Kiltieman
08-01-12, 16:11
I missed most of the parties as a child because when the balloons appeared I was off to the toilet till the games involving the balloons were over. Lots of girls let out a little scream when a balloon bursts so you shouldnt worry too mush about that bit but I understand how you feel about the 'bangers' I was exactly the same, balloons being my main dread.

ajones473@yahoo.com
31-10-12, 10:25
That must be awful for you, as bangs are not something you can avoid, I mean fireworks are part of almost every celebration nowadays, & where I live all I hear in the winter are bangs in the street & other people`s back yards.