PDA

View Full Version : Things have gotten on top of me

hallam11
04-06-11, 16:03
Hello all,

Some may remember me from my time on here last year. Things began to look up after I got a job and I started to feel better but lately I started feeling down. I was a sales executive and thought things were going well, I was told at a team meeting on 3rd May that I was doing a good job and everything was going well. Then I went on holiday and came back on 16th May. During that week I became more and more fed up with the event managers as they always drank alcohol on duty and were never around. This had been going on for a while and I felt that something needed to be said so I asked to speak with my manager and just mentioned to her there was an issue and she said for it to mean anything it would need to be written down and signed. So I did as I was told, anyway a few days after that I was told that my statement was shown to the people I had complained about and they were told it was me that complained!!!

I was so shocked and annoyed, I did not know that they were allowed to do this. Anyway I asked about it and she (my manager) told me this was procedure. On Tuesday she called me into the office for a performance review and fired me! I feel so betrayed, she told me it was because my skills weren't up to scratch. I find this very difficult to accept as I was told not 3 weeks earlier that i was doing a great job.

Anyway now I am back to square one, no job but this time its worse, I have a loan to repay and a monthly mobile bill.

I'm sorry to go on but I just feel its all gone kaput again!

Laura x

Tyke
04-06-11, 17:21
Hi Laura

Sorry to hear you have been so badly treated by your employer. It would probably be worth going to your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau who should be able to help. Most places usually allow an 'informal' complaint first, which would be a quiet word with your immediate supervisor without the need to make a formal written complaint straight away. Not sure exactly of your rights, but you should seek the advice from CAB. I guess you weren't in a trade union or anything? I would have thought though that it sounds like an 'unfair dismissal'.

Best of luck with this Laura.

Tyke

JT69
05-06-11, 13:36
Hi Laura,

I am so sorry to hear about all of this. It is totally unacceptable and you must go and seek advice on this as there is no way that you should be fired from employment before having at least one formal conversation regarding why you are not performing and how you can improve on this!! How can after having a review and being told you are doing a great job 3 weeks later this not be the case??? And if so then that conversation should of been around how you can improve and at least you finding out what you were not doing???

It sounds to me like something to do with the fact that you exposed some of your colleagues??? And rightly so...why should they get away with it.

If I was you I would certainly have a chat with the citizens advice and see what support they can offer and advice around this to as where you stand legally!!

Easier said than done hun but try not to let it drag you down...you have made such progress and I hope that you can get to the bottom of this!!

Let us know how you get on.....in the meantime keep that chin up girl...you are better than them!!!

TC
Jo.xx

andrew
08-06-11, 02:20
Hi Laura,
Sorry to read about this.
Like others have said, it sounds like you have a case for unfair dismissal. You might want to go straight to a no win no fee solicitor with it.
It might feel like it has all gone kaput, hopefully those feelings will only be temporary. You've got a years worth of turning up for work experiences and I dont doubt you can see loads of positive changes in your feelings about yourself during that time.
Good luck finding another job, you take care.

hallam11
11-06-11, 19:57
Thank you everyone for your messages. Yes I do believe that I was unfairly dismissed, I have spoken to citizens advice bureau and I am going to see someone on Monday who deals with employment law so hopefully he can help me.

I have an interview on Thursday for a holiday rep job overseas, something I've wanted to do for a long time. I am a little scared but that's fine I can get through it. The only thing that worries me is that if I am not successful and I am out of work for a while that I may go downhill. The last time I was out of work was when I was last here and I wasn't doing so well! Thanks for all your well wishes!
x

JT69
12-06-11, 10:24
Hi Laura,

Good luck with the interview....may be just what you need!!! Let me know how you get on at citizens advice....

TC
Jo.xx

hallam11
13-06-11, 11:50
Hi Jo,

Thank you I hope all goes well at the interview. It is something that I've wanted to do for a while so fingers crossed!

I went to see someone today about employment law, he thinks I may have a case and has passed me onto a solicitor who will look at my case. I do have some reservations - firstly that it looks as though its going to a tribunal and thats quite scary in itself. Secondly if I get this job abroad the case will be null and void.

I guess I will have to wait and see how it goes

Laura xxx

JT69
14-06-11, 20:52
Hi Laura,

Thats good news even if you do get the job and do not go through with it all...at least you know in your own mind it was not your fault.

Keep me posted.

Jo.xx

hallam11
20-06-11, 18:50
Hi there everyone,

I have some good news. I was successful in my interview and now have been offered a job as a holiday rep job with Thomson! I am very happy!

Thank you to everyone!
xx

nervy-paul
20-06-11, 19:44
Well done Laura, I was sorry to read this thread, but am glad you have risen above it and gone on to better things. The very best of luck in your new job! Well done you!!!:yesyes: :yesyes:

hallam11
21-06-11, 19:41
Thank you everyone! It has been a little bit of a rough ride and felt at times that I was going to go down that bad path again. Lord knows I had the excuse but I just couldn't do that again!

I hope you will all keep in touch and I will drop in now and again to update! I wish you all the best, its a very difficult road and a lot of the time I am just trying to keep my head above the water but I get there. I hope everyone finds some peace! x

JT69
22-06-11, 17:32
Hi Laura,

Thats fantastic news!!! Well done to you and I wish you every success in the future.

Jo.x

Tyke
23-06-11, 02:13
Nice one, Laura

Wishing you all the best for the future.

Tyke