PDA

View Full Version : Pshyciatrist

tricia56
04-06-11, 16:42
ive got to see a pshyciatrist on monday because of my anxiety and im quite anxuyouse about going to see him has any one else saw one and if so has seeing one did it help in away as im not sure weather its a good thing im seeing him i know it wont cure my anxiety and i dont want meds for my anxiety i dont want to go down that road and i dont want to get my hopes up thinking that seeing a pshyciatrist will make me better as thats wat i thought about when i started cbt but it didnt help me very much and ever sincew finishing the couse of cbt my anxiety and HA have been really bad so any advice would be grate if any one one here has been to see a pshyciatrist thanks

GAD_GUY
04-06-11, 19:42
Hi Tricia

I haven't seen a psychiatrist as such but had various psychotherapy, hypnotherapy, counselling, anxiety management sessions etc and at one point even worried about the thought of someone trying to 'change' me as I had become content with who I was (wierd I know!)

The therapist will know you are anxious and will do everything in their power to put you at ease so please don't let it concern you too much. A good therapist knows that there is no miracle cure and it is merely the power of suggestion and alternative ways of thinking which helps alleviate some of the problems you are facing now, this along with medication should help you see some improvement but as we are all individuals - please try not to compare your rate of progress with others.

Sometimes the problem with any therapy session is we tend to expect too much too soon and become disappointed, even more anxious when we don't feel immediate relief.

Give it a try - go in there with an open mind and don't compare it to your CBT sessions.

cloieB
04-06-11, 20:38
Hey,
I have to see a pshyciatrist on Tuesday. I feel really stupid telling some one how i feel, i neva let anyone in. I get so nervous and am very paranoid and have panic attacks. Everyone sez it will help but to be honest i don't think it will. Im also on Mirtazpine which has helped but now i feel like i just go with the flow. Let me know what to expect and good luck to you Tricia. xx

geejaybee
05-06-11, 08:51
CloieB,

I have been seeing a psychiarist regularly for the last 6 months and have found him far more helpful and sympathetic than my GP. Really there is nothing to be anxious about. Think about it as another step on the road to recovery.

Hope it goes well for you,

Gerry

mrk74
05-06-11, 10:59
Hi, I was refered to see a pshyciatrist many years ago because of my anxiety. He actually came to see me at my home for the first visit and he was very understanding. After that I had to go to the hospital to see him every couple of weeks I think. It can be very daunting at first but they are usually very kind and sympathetic towards you. good luck :hugs:

suec
05-06-11, 14:37
I saw a psychiatrist and he just asked me questions about my symptoms, diagnosed me and prescribed the medication and that was that :)