PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam (fear of flying) & OCD

knightgirl
05-06-11, 14:30
Hi there,

My dr prescribed me with 2mg of diazepam as I'm scared of taking a flight next week with my children.
I always used to be absolutely fine with flying but as I've got older, I've got more anxious and having children didn't help my anxiety as I now fear for them too!
I haven't taken a flight in over 4 years so have really been working myself up about this flight so I'm praying this 'magic pill' works!
First off, the leaflet says consult your dr if you have phobias or obsessional disorders(!) which I do - OCD - but my Dr doesn't know this! For any of you that do have this, have you taken diazepam and has it been a problem with you??
Secondly, how long before my flight should I take the pill and how long roughly will it last?
I'm really quite anxious about taking the pill as I'm scared of what affect it will have on me...I feel like I'll be waiting for some sort of reaction! Do you notice a sudden change or do you just realise you're relaxed all of a sudden??
Sorry for all the questions but I really don't want to ask my Dr all of this - I'm sure she thinks I'm a nutter already lol! I'm trying a pill this evening as my Dr said it's best to try it before my journey!

Hope someone can share their experience with me!!

deepreason
05-06-11, 15:49
How big an effect you get from one pill will depend on what dose it is. they come in 2 mg, 5 mg and 10 mg I think.

They usually start to work somewhere between 30-60 minutes after you take them and last somewhere between 6 and 8 hours at a pretty high level but then slowly fall off after a day or two. The actual half life is 200 hours but you won't notice any effects past 24 hours or so.

I've taken Valium regularly for months and am diagnosed with OCD amongst other things and haven't personally ever noticed any negative interaction between the two. To be honest, the valium makes my OCD much better.

The best way to find out how it's going to make you personally feel is to do a test run like the dr says. That way you'll know exatcly what to expect. Just steer clear of any alcohol as it isn't a good mix with valium.

knightgirl
05-06-11, 16:06
Thank u! I really appreciate your reply - it definitely reassures me! :D