PDA

View Full Version : Symptoms of withdrawal?

Carlosis
06-06-11, 11:28
Hi all,

I'd just like to see if anyone has experienced these symptoms of withdrawal and if what i experienced is related to a sudden change in the intake of Diazepam or related to my current anti-anxiety meds (Trazadone & Mirtazipine).

I'm on 5mgs of Diaz and i'm in a band, everytime i travel i get panic attacks so take one before i start each journey. We were travelling from the Uk to Berlin to Leipzig and back to the UK last week and for each day of travelling i'd take 5mgs in the morning, 2.5mgs again during the day and either another 2,5 or 5mgs in the evening. I did this for 4 days straight so was having on average 10mgs a day. The last day was Friday and i've not taken any all weekend as i've been home.

Last night i took my other anti-anxiety meds and half hour later i had an overwhelming feeling of passing out/extreme dizzyness and general drunk feeling.

Are these symptoms that can be caused by a sudden withdrawal of Diaz? obviously all reasoning points to a conflict in the other meds but thought i'd double check!

Apologies for the essay :unsure:

iamspartacus
06-06-11, 13:20
diazepam is an addictive drug and can cause quite pronouced withdrawal symptoms when you suddenly stop. my advice would be to cut down very gradually. i was on them for 5 years straight and had an awful time getting off. treat this drug with respect. it is worse than heroin for getting off. take it nice and slowly. dont rush it.

Carlosis
06-06-11, 14:31
So would you advise i still take some daily, even if i feel i don't need it?

LaneCash
21-06-11, 19:02
Diazepam is the generic name for Valium. If you use it occasionally you shouldn't have any withdrawal symptoms. But, take it from me, if you take it everyday for an extended period of time then stop abruptly you will have withdrawal syptoms. I'm a Case Worker at a substance abuse center, plus I've successfully used Valium (diazepam) 6 times since 1982 and gradually reduced the dose to get off them. If you stop abruptly, esp. from a high does you can have seizures or convulsions. As for the other two medications Trazadone and Mirtazipine, they are usually used as an antidepressant or sleep disorders. Mirtazipine is the one I would ask your doctor about to see if their is an interaction causing anxiety when stopped.

I hope this helps you.