PDA

View Full Version : No Panic vs The Samaritans

allergyphobia
06-06-11, 13:46
Hey everybody.

Nic I hope this thread is OK, if it's advertising their services or anything please do take it down.

I just wondered if people would mind sharing their experiences of The Samaritans and 'No Panic'

I have an interview tonight to volunteer on the helpline for No Panic, and in July am attending an information session for The Samaritans. I'd be really interested to know service user experiences of these organisations and how they helped you?

Thank you :flowers:

nomorepanic
06-06-11, 13:49
It is fine to leave it here.

I have done the No Panic telephone recovery course twice now and have called their helpline a few times. The helpliners do a fab job but I believe it can be hard work and tiring on you as you will get a lot of calls.

Good luck with it - a very worthwhile cause.

Oh and on another note - you are more likely to get panic/anxiety calls being a No Panic helpliner but as a Samaritan you will get all sorts calling up - including people that are suicidial so you have to decide if you could handle that.

allergyphobia
06-06-11, 13:54
Hi Nic,

One of the questions on the interview asks if you are a sufferer, and if you feel you are at a point in your own journey where you would be able to cope with others' problems.

I am thinking of this sort of direction for a career move, and both organisations put you through training etc, so I think this would really help me to see if I am strong enough to help and support people without it being detrimental to my own mental health.

It really is such a worthwhile cause, I just really hope that my determination to do this puts me in good stead to be strong enough, if you know what I mean.

I think I am swinging towards No Panic, as you can do this from your own home too.

Thanks for helping x

LucyR
06-06-11, 14:04
Hey everybody.

Nic I hope this thread is OK, if it's advertising their services or anything please do take it down.

I just wondered if people would mind sharing their experiences of The Samaritans and 'No Panic'

I have an interview tonight to work on the helpline for No Panic, and in July am attending an information session for The Samaritans. I'd be really interested to know service user experiences of these organisations and how they helped you?

Thank you :flowers:

Hi, Do you know what the hours are for this and what the wages are for working for No Panic?

allergyphobia
06-06-11, 14:24
Hi Lucy,

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression in my post, this is to volunteer rather than work, I just meant eventually I would like to become a support worker or something in the same vein.

For the volunteer position at No Panic you have to do a minimum of 3 hours per week via skype in your own home.

Hope this helps :)

LucyR
06-06-11, 14:27
Hi,

Thanks for letting me know it is voluntary work as opposed to paid work. I don't have Skype is that the only way you can do this?

Lucy.

allergyphobia
06-06-11, 14:28
Hi Lucy,
Yes I believe it's the only way you can - skype is free to download if you have a computer?

LucyR
06-06-11, 14:38
Hi, Yes I do I think I would also need a microphone? Do you get a separate number to do this or do you have to give out your home phone number?

allergyphobia
06-06-11, 16:05
Hi Lucy, yep you would need to be heard, do you have a laptop or PC? I assume you get a skype ID that people call you through - it will be nothing to do with your home phone. If you e-mail No Panic through their website, Chris their Recruitment Officer will call you and go through some details with you :)

allergyphobia
07-06-11, 15:09
Sadly No Panic are not recruiting/training any more volunteers until after Christmas now, I'm gutted :mad:

LucyR
07-06-11, 16:00
Hi Allergyphobia, It will be Christmas before we know it!