PDA

View Full Version : Driving panic attack

RND2011
06-06-11, 16:42
Hi

I've had panic attacks whilst driving since a traumatic incident a few years ago. I thought I was making progress until today when I had a very intense attack. I do take propranolol which "changes" the way the attack feels but certainly does not stop it.

I woke up on edge knowing I had a long journey to do. I am definitely far worse on motorways and dual carriageways.

I really do believe I am going to lose consciousness during an attack. I am told this is very rare but it is so hard to believe - the feelings are SO intense. Can anyone offer me the medical explanation why this won't happen. At least if I can be sure of that then I can learn to live with the attacks

Ambers
06-06-11, 17:35
Hi - I avoid driving on motorways for the very same thing. I do have more control over my PA and I would say that I am doing everything again apart from driving on motorways again. I feel like I will pass out and I really cant put myself or the chance that I may harm someone else to the test. I m lucky tho as i dont need to use them for work (I do use the train and I had to overcome PA on these). I know lots of people on here have the same fear and many of them have measures to cope and overcome this fear.

sazz_1984
08-06-11, 03:05
Hi,

I am currently having the same problems. It started on dual carriageways and now seems to be taking over driving on quieter roads and especially when stopped at a junction/traffic lights. I feel like I may just put my foot down and run the red light in a panic. I know how truly terrifying panic attacks whilst driving are. They do say that during a panic attack your body will not allow you to pass out though as this is happening to help you to fight/flee and it wouldnt be much use you fainting if say a tiger was chasing you. I do struggle to believe I wont pass out though as the feeling is so horrible its hard to believe that you can remain focused and control a car safely. Lets hope we can beat this!

Absolutetrip
08-06-11, 14:39
The ironic thing about my A/P is I had none a year ago until I did pass out behind the wheel of my truck. My blood pressure bottomed out and I ended up hitting a power pole and a tree. Thank goodness I did not hurt anyone or myself.
Now I have bad driving anxiety and anxiety about driving somewhere in fear it may happen again. But will note: I have not passed out since and the cause of the initial syncope episode was a mineral imbalance and dehydration. But it plagues my mind to no end. I am much better driving places than I was. I changed my diet and life style and feel much better and also I do not know if you can get it in the UK but canned Oxygen really helps reduce anxiety while driving or anytime really. I start feeling a attack coming on while driving or anytime I grab my can of sport oxygen take 2 breaths and it really seems to cut the intensity of the attack by 70% or takes it away completely.
My wife says when I am having a attack I tend to breath shallow and infrequently and make myself dizzy and light headed.
Peace and help to all,
Ron

I'tsallgonebadagain!
10-06-11, 17:52
The reason why I joined this forum, was exactly this problem.

I have only ever had 2 actual PAs when driving, in the last 4 years. However, the fear of having another one has endured to the point that I now live (and drive) in fear of having another one. If that makes sense.

I read on an old thread here about many in the same situation, and found many similarities to my own problem.

I call it *The fear of fear*.

I can drive ok if:

* It is not a dual carriageway (both my attacks were in these)
* In a motorway, as they have hard-shoulders and I feel *safe* because "if" I have a PA I can stop
* I have someone with me (I was alone in both previous instances)
* I am particularly fond of traffic jams, as this means I can get wherever I am going, and I will get there slowly. I pray for traffic jams... :yesyes:

I am petrified of:

* Driving over 50 mph, as I fear if I have a PA I will get dead and kill someone else in the process
* Also, driving over 50 mph makes me feel *dizzy and out of control*

The absurd thing is, I LOVE driving. Until the first PA it was never an issue.
I have tried to recall whether I was under any sort of stress at the time of the attacks, which would have caused anxiety which would bring on the PA. I cannot recall.

I rely on driving a lot for my work. Now I find that planning routes makes my palms sweat. I take any evasive action I can to avoid dual carriageways, and trust me, I have driven on them recently. It took an enormous amount of control. Every time.

I now feel weary as I feel like my brain is split in two: The part which is doo-la-lee and out of control, fearing PAs.
The other part is saying: What the heck???!!! Who ARE you? I do not recognise this pile of jelly you have become.

I feel mentally/emotionally tired, and have now sought professional help in the form of counselling and CBT to get to the bottom of this as I really do not like what/who I have become.... My first appointment is on the 1st July.

On a final note, I am astounded at just how many people suffer with the same issue!

IAGBA

FRANK30
11-07-11, 13:55
Hi "I'tsallgonebadagain!"

I read your post with interest as it sounds like you have similar symptoms to me.

I first experienced a panic attack while driving 2 years ago. It came out of the blue whilst driving on a dual carriageway, I honestly felt I was going to "fall off" the road. As if I would somehow tip off the edge! I was sweating, shaking and couldn't grip the steering wheel. I started slowing right down in the end, I just wanted to stop the car and get out. (In the middle of the road!). Eventually I managed to pull off at the next exit, but I was in a terrible state and had to ask a relative to come out and get me.

Since then I have been uncomfortable on all motorway journeys or dual carriageways. Its the feeling of not being able to stop or have anywhere to pull over. I get sweaty and shaky and very tense. Like you, I would happily sit in traffic and get to my destination slowly. I never go above 70mph and I am petrified of over-taking, which means I have to sit on the inside lane. I don't care if I'm stuck behind a slow-moving lorry! I feel safer that way. In all honesty, I would avoid the motorway and use the "back roads" to get to my destination, even if it took twice as long and used more petrol.

It's a shame, because I have been driving for 10 years and I have driven on motorways before - lots of times. I used to have jobs which meant a daily commute on 3 motorways. Nowadays I work locally, so I barely use my car at all, except to visit friends and new places. I view my car as freedom, so I don't want to give it up. Sometimes I think the problem is that I don't go on the motorway enough, so I have built it up as a massive thing whenever I need to drive anywhere.

Anyway, recently I decided to seek help for my problem. I was prescribed beta-blockers two years ago, but they didn't help. Fortunately I have private health cover through my work. I was referred by my GP for CBT at a private clinic. I had my first appointment last week and as part of my homework, I have been asked to come up with a hierarchy (1-10) of driving scenarios I fear most. So for me, being stuck in a contraflow lane on the outside lane of the motorway would frighten me to death - that would be a 10. Driving on a dual carriageway/motorway, is a 6. Driving locally would be a 1.

I am having CBT every fortnight and I just hope it works for me. I want to be able to look forward to driving and not feel so scared. I don't ultimately know what I am frightened of when I drive, but I don't feel in control and I over-analyse the drive too much.

I am also astounded by how many other people have suffered from this. I was really embarrassed to admit that I have this condition, because prior to having my first PA I was a very confident driver.