PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas?

Spitfyr88
06-06-11, 16:59
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen.

After struggling with bipolar disorder and depression for years, and having a huge mental breakdown at work and thrashing my office and breaking several computers I've been signed off work 'until further notice'. Both my GP and consultant have suggested that I go on Disability Living Allowance.
As a rather active individual I find myself getting irritated about not having the chance to go back to work or leading what some would call a normal life with a great deal of social activity.

In short, I was hoping anyone in the same sort of situation would be able to give me advice on what course of action I should take.
I know hobbies would be a first port of call for spending time, but having none to speak of other than my motorcycle, which my consultant has warned my father of letting me have as I am apparently a risk to myself and others, I find myself between a rock and a hard place.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope this finds you all well.

Spitfyr.

xJust_Sarahx
06-06-11, 18:27
Hi
I dont have a bi-polar disorder but i know how it feels not been able to work because i have a panic disorder and although i have 3 kids under the age of 5 anyway, i still would love to go back to work, but the fact i monitor my breathing and have constant panic attacks stops me from been able to as i will have break down after break down.
Its no good really because im 23 and i feel house bound and i look at other people my age like old school friends etc and im so envious of them. So im kinda like you as in the sense of what to do until times get good.
I do find this site rather useful though as its nice to be able to chat to people with similar problems and know your not alone and the only one feeling like this really.

Im sorry im not much help as in experiencing the exact same as you, but if you ever want to talk then dont hesitate to message me :)

Spitfyr88
06-06-11, 18:47
With 3 children I can only imagine what life must be like for you. I suppose at their own leisure they can be a blessing in disguise for elevating your mood, no?
At 22, I feel exactly the same. Friends are going away on holiday and what not, knowing the stress of leaving the country would cause violent outbursts, I sit by and watch them all report back, having a wonderful time.

Thank you ever so for the offer and I will take you up on it some time. :)

paula lynne
06-06-11, 19:04
Hi Spitfyr, Im sorry youre having a tough time of it. Have to been to your Gp recently regarding your meds? They may need adjusting perhaps?
Anyway, just as youve got this time off from work youve been told you cant go on your bike, that must have been a right kick in the teeth! Hopefully, you will feel better in a week or two and maybe you can go for short local drives, blast away the cobwebs. What else are you interested in? This may be a good time to catch a bus and do some exploring on day trips...or...sort your CDs...or read that book, or rent some DVDs, or call a friend and arrange a cinema trip......keep your chin up ok.

I was a Neurosurgical nurse, 2 years colledge, 4 Uni, all as a single parent. Only to have anxiety and agoraphobia rip the rug from under me and I lost the career Id always wanted. However, Im a successful at-home florist now, so new opportunities do come alone. Maybe you could think about taking an online course in something, you never know where it may lead. I understand your frustrations, but hang in there, time is a great thing.
Best wishes, Paula x

shoegal
06-06-11, 19:15
Well I'm 37 and I feel exactly the same. I'm currently being supported by the Crisis Team after telling my sister I wanted to kill myself during a particularly bad panic attack. I don't want to kill myself by the way, I just want my panic attacks to stop! Anyway, I have been housebound for 8 weeks and before that I had agoraphobia which meant I could only go out if a trusted person was with me. I also look out of the window and see people going about their business and I feel sad that I can't just do simple, normal, everyday things that other people take for granted. It is so frustrating and very lonely.

Spitfyr88
06-06-11, 19:40
Hi, Paula. My last 3 appointments to see my consultant have been cancelled. He's been ill so I'm told. My meds were due to go up again but I've had to wait 3 months.
Exactly that! My father has been ok about me going out on it but has told me if I'm caught speeding it'll be crushed. Not that I think he'll go through with it. I hope...
I used to go out around 3-4am, find a nice place to pull up and read a book and have a cigarette but after quitting it doesn't feel right. Unfortunately I can't sit in a cinema... The idea of knowing you have to wait in that chair till the film is over doesn't bode well haha...
Thank you for your advice Paula, really.
It's horrid to think so much was taken from you with something uncontrollable but knowing you're happy with the things you have and what you do is a beautiful notion.

Shoegal, I understand where you are coming from about feeling that way only because you want the illness to end, a break even. I hope your friends understand the way you are and you find some sort of comfort in them. I hope you are finding things better as days progress.

Phill2
07-06-11, 03:33
Keep riding
I found my bike a great source of relaxation when times were bad.
Phill :shades: