PDA

View Full Version : Can't deal with doctors

StressedAndDepressed
06-06-11, 22:52
Am freaking out. I have to see the GP this week - the citalopram isn't working too well so I have to speak to him. I'll panic and either freeze up or mis-interpret what he says and get defensive. The nurses are good at being a go-between but I can't expect them to deal with this for me.

I have no coping strategies for this, I just fall apart. To make things worse, I usually can't remember much of what went on when I've seen him. Does anyone have any ideas which might help me cope?

xhyperyogix
06-06-11, 23:05
What I do is type it, print it out, and then go there, hand it to them and let them read what I have to say. Works well. Not just for me, but other people I know too. This way you can set out what you want to say in your own time, get it how you like and make sure there is no room for mis-interpretations. Also, you can see what you feel like when you get there and if you are Ok and can deal with talking you can still do that too. The bit of paper is a lovely back-up strategy!

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine :)

Hyper xxxx

Elen
07-06-11, 11:05
Hi

I agree with Hyper. I really struggle to talk so write it all out.

I am now getting better and find that I can talk sometimes but I still have my bit of paper as back up in case words fail me and to make sure that I dont forget to say everything.

Good luck

Elen

d85
07-06-11, 12:06
I can understand your worry. I've found that there's such a big spectrum of how doctors treat patients, and also how long they're willing/able to spend with patients. At my home GP, I'm lucky to get 10 minutes even with my favourite doctors, but when I was up at my mum's a couple of weeks ago to discuss my anxiety, I chatted to the GP for about 50 minutes.

How big is your GP's surgery—is there more than one doctor? Sometimes, I've found that it helps to speak to the receptionist on the phone & mention your anxiety. They may be able to slot you in with a doctor who'd be better suited to how you're feeling.

The suggestion from Hyperyogi and Elen about writing down what you want to discuss before you go is a good one, and maybe take in a pad of paper & pen to write down bits and pieces that they say to jog your memory?

Don't be afraid to tell the doctor how you're feeling—not only about the citalopram, but about your anxiety with GPs, worry that you'll forget what they say etc. I think that sometimes they can forget we have these anxieties, but if you just remind them, they become far more easy & accessible.

Let us know how you get on. Hope everything goes well. :hugs:

StressedAndDepressed
07-06-11, 19:30
Thanks for the advice, I might give it a go. Last time I went, either I got the wrong impression (which is possible and I don't remember much) but I think he was a bit nasty to me. I decided I was probably wasting his time so have been staying away.

The nurses are good and have given me some support for another condition but, now I've not been near the doctor for a few weeks, it may have all exploded itself in my head.

d85
08-06-11, 13:06
Some of them can be quite short/come across as nasty and it's a shame. I tend to keep quiet during those situations, but after I come out I end up wishing I'd stood my ground.

What day are you going to see the doctor?

StressedAndDepressed
08-06-11, 18:52
Thanks for the hug.

After an early morning chat with NHS direct (wasn't a good nights sleep), I got appt with the GPs nurse today. I had a chat with her, told her how I was feeling.

Think I rambled a bit but she said she'd have a chat with the GP before my appt with him tomorrow:wacko:. I can't avoid doctors, at least if he knows I'm struggling it might help.

Other GPs at the practice? yes there are more but I prefer the one I usually see. To be honest, I don't think it matters which one I see, all doctors provoke my anxiety.

macc noodle
08-06-11, 22:39
I sometimes take someone with me - my mum or hubby - I discuss with them beforehand what my concerns or questions are and then they attend the consultation with me.

They just listen to the consultation and only participate if invited !

It really works for me as they can then tell me what was said so that I have it all to digest afterwards :)

good luck hun
xx

StressedAndDepressed
09-06-11, 17:14
I did it! I was stressed out, big time, but didn't fall apart and can even remember some of what happened.

I took the advice from here and the nurse - wrote things down for him. He worked through my list and all I had to do was mutter a few words here and there. He even wrote down the stuff that was important for me to remember.

I'm very relieved - thanks all :)

d85
09-06-11, 17:48
Brilliant! I'm glad it all went OK :) Well done.