PDA

View Full Version : Temazepam for insomnia?

JaneC
07-06-11, 19:23
Hi, hope everybody is well. Apologies for asking a question when I haven't been around to support others, but...

I sometimes struggle to get to sleep at night. The problem actually isn't too bad at the moment except for on one particular night each week when I don't get home until half midnight after finishing work about 11pm - and I have to be back up around nine the next morning to head off to work again. I'm regularly still awake at 4am and later.

A mental health nurse suggested I speak to my GP about this, which I did today. No problems there, except that when I was handing in the prescription expecting her to have given me some sort of sleeping pill, instead it's for temazepam.

Just wondered if anyone else has experience of using it for this purpose? xx

snowgoose
07-06-11, 19:35
Hi Jane ,

sorry to hear about your insomnia ............it is hideous and certainly for me I just could not function .

My doctor gave me Temazepam which I found excellent . when I went back to work I used one whenever I just knew I would not sleep .eg back to work after hols or days off . no more than 2 .......usually one a week . the knowledge I had them was enough to take pressure off.
I had no ill effects on them ...no hangover ...............and no strange dreams .
as I say I used them carefully and they are addictive ....but excellent for how you are going to use them I feel Jane .

take care :hugs:

also you can half them of course to test .x

JaneC
07-06-11, 19:48
Thanks for your very quick and helpful reply Snowgoose. If they're pills rather than capsules I'll definitely be halving them (didn't notice the dosage the doc has put me on before handing in the scrip). Good to know you didn't have any after-effects but I think I might try it on a night when I don't have to get for work in the morning just to see how it goes. Other than that, I'll only be taking them that one night a week at most.

Bit freaked about having them, as it wasn't what I expected, and possibly also because my dad was probably addicted to some sort of benzo back in the day, but your reply is really reassuring. Thankyou :hugs:

snowgoose
07-06-11, 19:56
think they are in tablet form now Jane

after they got abused by ??? folk who tried to inject them in the eighties when they were capsules .
good idea halfing them .............but dont be scared of them if need full tab .
of course we are all different how we metabolise drugs .......but I have even taken one at 2 in the morning out of desperation and been fine for work .
guess we are all different though :blush:
xxx

xhyperyogix
07-06-11, 20:21
Hello Jane,

I wouldn't worry, as long as you don't over-do them they are very good. They are the only thing that work for me, and are specifically just about making you sleep, nothing else. I get 5 hours straight sleep, and no hangover whatsoever. My doc says either do 2 days on, 1 day off, or have a break for Fri, Sat, Sun. I try to do 1 day on, 1 day off as I think it's safer- they can be addictive as others have said. If you can get away with just doing once or twice a week you should have no problems at all!

Happy sleeping xxx

Hyper :smile:

haz
08-06-11, 00:21
Hi,

My boyfriend was prescribed 10mg temazepam for insomnia after his zopciclone stopped working. As others have said, try not to use them every night as your body will become used to them and they won't produce the same effect.

Regards.

Haz.x

JaneC
08-06-11, 09:50
think they are in tablet form now Jane

after they got abused by ??? folk who tried to inject them in the eighties when they were capsules .

That makes sense Snowgoose - I did have that thought: eek, these are "jellies" lol.

Hyper and Haz - thanks for your reassurances, too, that this is a perfectly normal thing to be prescribed for insomnia, and that taking it doesn't mean you're going to feel horrible the next day. And don't worry , there's no way I'll be taking them on anything like a nightly basis xx

Magic
08-06-11, 12:13
Hello Jane C
I have had severe insomnia for years. It all started when I had a night /evening job.I was always on a high and could not go to sleep for love nor money when I got home. I went to GP.I have had Temazapam they are V good. Over the years I have tried different tablets for insomnia
I now take a different one.
Good idea trying half first,and going to full wack if need be XXX

JaneC
08-06-11, 18:56
Thanks Magic - that's exactly the problem, I've been working shifts that finish anywhere between 10pm and 1am for some years and I'm wired when I get in. It's the equivalent of finishing work at 5pm and trying to be asleep by six or whatever. Good to hear from someone else that temazepam has worked for :yesyes:

JaneC
09-06-11, 15:21
Just picked up my prescription. 20mg dose. I'll definitely be halving them. And I'll probably still die :unsure:

snowgoose
09-06-11, 15:40
oh Jane :hugs:

you wont die :ohmy:.............but would definately half them . I took 10mg at night ..so even think of quartering them on a night to trial them .

these are so helpful tablets for occasional use Jane............dont worry xxx

KK77
09-06-11, 16:14
Just picked up my prescription. 20mg dose. I'll definitely be halving them. And I'll probably still die :unsure:

MM will not hear of such talk JC. You will be fine - especially after a good old-fashioned kip (with the aid of your new med).

Halving them initially sounds like a good idea - at least till you can gauge the effect it has on you (ie hopefully sending you off to planet Zzzzz).

Always around if you want a chat (or a butt-kick) :shades:

JaneC
09-06-11, 19:05
Sorry Peeps, I'm just a bit scared of these but only meant I tend to get a big effect from a small dose of some meds I've had in the past. Don't actually plan to die!

Thanks again Snowgoose, I will seriously consider the quarter option. I;m going to give either a quarter or a half a try tonight because I had a horrible night last night, still awake after 4am.

Good to hear from you MM, I've been doing really well lately, hope the same goes for yourself. Drop me a line some time, I've a s****y new phone to play with :yesyes:

:hugs: to you both xx

JaneC
10-06-11, 09:44
Clearly I'm still alive then :yahoo:

Halved the pill, still took a bit of time for my mind to stop racing but fell asleep relatively quickly, woke up before my alarm. A bit tired but I did overdo things a bit yesterday so overall seems fine. Thanks again to Snowgoose and everyone else xxx

KK77
10-06-11, 11:42
I thought your doc would have given you zopiclone or zolpidem but glad it's helping and even gladder that you're still here :D

JaneC
10-06-11, 12:25
Thats the kind of thing l was expecting MM. Wish she'd said what she was giving me and why but if it works i don't suppose it matters xxx

KK77
11-06-11, 09:14
Is it helping Jane? I was reading up on it and it's apparently very effective for short-term use x

JaneC
11-06-11, 09:36
Pleased to say it is MM :) Friday is the night I really struggle but I must have been asleep within about 10 mins of putting the light out (took 10mg again) and was awake before the alarm went off again. Seven hours of sleep instead of maybe four will hopefully make a big difference to me at work today. Now I must be really strict and not open that little bottle again till next Friday! xxx