PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety bad in the morning?

nhf
08-06-11, 10:15
Hi all,

The last couple of weeks i've thought I really had my anxiety under control and felt like I was getting back to the 'old me' before the anxiety and panic attacks hit me a few months ago. I had my first counselling session two weeks ago and felt very positive afterwards. The counsellor said he's very impressed with how well I have been doing on my own so far and told me i'm going in the right direction and I start CBT this Friday.

Sorry bit of a ramble there - on to my question!

The last couple of days i've found I feel sick upon waking and this in turn is making me anxious to the point I am actually sick (although nothing actually comes up except air like burps - sorry! and I end up having to quickly drink water so I dont strain my stomach :weep: ) I do occaisionally suffer from IBS and have had a bad weekend but that has passed now and seems to have been replaced with this morning anxious feeling - I force myself to have breakfast but find the milk on my cereal make me feel sick all over again.

Does anyone else suffer with this?

Sorry for the long post but I find writing it down helps calm me sometimes!

Nadine x

Tia Maria
08-06-11, 10:21
Hi Nadine
I had the same and found that my anxiety came back for a while during having councelling as it forces you to bring to the surface all the stuff that you have concealed - it does pass. On waking - sip some water and change you're way of thinking - instead of saying OMG here we go again - try - OK it is the normal nausea but it will pass and slow everything you do right down - you're breathing, the way you walk etc. Have some dry toast instead of cereal for a couple of days - I also found that sucking a mint helps. Good luck Tia

nhf
08-06-11, 10:56
Hi Tia

Thanks for the reply! Will be giving your suggestions a try & fingers crossed they will work for me.

My anxiety didnt really increase after the counselling - It all started for me with health anxiety as the doctor sent me to hospital with palpitations and they wanted me to have a heart scan. Due to the waiting lists it was 7 weeks of constant panic and anxiety before I actually had the appointment (which was all completely normal) but as a result of the wait even after I was told I am fine I found the slightest different feeling I got that i'm not used to would send me into a state. Whereas before i'd ignore things and get on with life, before this my doctor hadnt seen me in years, he didnt even know I was a patient when I went in with the palps!

I now have this under control most of the time (The only time I get anxious now is with dizzy/lighthead feelings - have a fear of feinting!) It just seems that the sick feeling in the mornings brings on the dizzy feeling sometimes and no matter how much I tell myslef 'I am fine, its just the anxiety, it will pass' I just cant seem to make my brain believe me sometimes.

xx