PDA

View Full Version : Forgetfulness :(

Butterfly22
09-06-11, 20:05
With my anxiety I'm getting forgetful, for instance Ill be asked to do something and then Im reminded I havent done it, I always feel awful that Ive truly forgotten to do as Ive been asked at home. Is this a usual thing to anxiety and do any of you have experience of this too?

vicky23
10-06-11, 14:25
hi yep very much so! its a common thing with anxiety because our brains are so focussed on worry/stress/anxiety, it's an overwhelming thing when you're anxious it's no wonder our brains find it hard to hold onto things
so don't worry and on a practical side- keep a notepad to write reminders down, or set a task with an alarm on your phone, or if these aren't available I find that forcing my brain to concentrate on the task being asked of me helps for example. If my Mum asks me to put the washing on the line in the morning I'll usually just go 'ok will do' then forget, if I respond in a more focussed way so close my eyes and say to myself 'put the washing out in the morning' and think about myself doing it and think about myself remembering to do it in the morning my brain is more likely to take notice, basically you're just telling your brain that this is important.

Magic
10-06-11, 14:55
Hi there,Vicky & Butterfly,
Yes I am the same.Its got to the stage where if I am phoneing anyone I have to put the names down first, its so embarrassing .
By the phone there is a collection of names written down. its awful.
If I am introduced to any one,unless there name is very unusual. I have to ask again and again.
I am very stressed most of the time.so this is how I am.
Also about the washing for instace Vicki, I put my washing in forget that it's there and is left for ages when the washer has finished,and on occasion I never switch it on at all.
It's so frustrating:ohmy:

Butterfly22
10-06-11, 16:10
Vicki, its exactly like that for me! the other day mum asked me to take the charging cable out of her laptop and I said OK will do, then I forgot! and the washing on the line thing, its any sort of task really.

Magic, yes it can be frustrating and embarrassing cos you feel so awful youve forgotten.